Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Returning Survival Horror to its rightful place
Firia Offline

Threads: 5
Returning Survival Horror to its rightful place

Ahoy, Frictional Games. Smile

I first want to say that you folks have done an AMAZING job here with your work on Amnesia. So much so, that when I have more money to spend on games (poor college student), I will be getting the Penumbra set you offer in your store. I've not played a game as immersive as Amnesia in ages. In fact, I don't believe I've played one that captured immersion quite as perfectly as Amnesia.

Whatever sales you've done doesn't do justice what you truly deserve.

I used to think I've done the Survival Horror (SH for short here on out) thing. That the best SH games have already been made, and everything that follows is cheap thrills in comparison. In fact, a proper scary game hasn't been made in years! I had all but totally given up. So when I heard in passing that there was this frightening new game just around the corner, well, I of course had to investigate!
(It was in fact the forum section of this episode of Extra Credits that lead me to the youtube teaser.)

I thought it certainly had promise. And did it ever. In fact, I still have not beaten the game. On the one hand, I am quite busy with school, but with a game I hear that is as short as Amnesia, I should in theory be able to breeze through it in a couple of sittings, wouldn't you think? Well, not if my own crippling fears have anything to say about it! There could be nothing going on, and I will be sitting here as tense as a coiled spring! I can play only play for 30 to 45 minutes at a time. I was able to out preform that just earlier while navigating the sewers (and the bridge part that came just before it). I owe the abundance of light to that feat.

When I cannot play any longer, but still want my Amnesia fix, I go onto youtube to watch others play through it. Specifically this Holloween fellow, which generally takes the piss out of whatever he plays. Still, to see the game get to him, is quite entertaining. Wink

The unnaturally dark cellar and the dungeon were quite possibly the single most tense horror moments I've played in any SH themed games. Silent Hill 1 and 2 ( SH and SH... huh.) were what I believed to be the early gen games that did survival horror RIGHT, and have never since been rivaled in their masterful quality. Then comes Amnesia, which immerses the player in such a way that nothing at all will bring terror.

I'm telling my friends about it. I feel like this game has gotten no press whatsoever. Everyone I tell has never heard of it before. They're all amazed by the trailer, and tell me they're putting it on their lists. So I like to think that I'm doing my part to help the Frictional team. Big Grin

I'm mustering my courage now. I'm diving back into the world of Amnesia. I had a close call with the sewer monster before climbing my way to safety, and needed a repree. I have the say, the cutsie smiles on the site are a fine way to ease the mind. Now to undo all that. Big Grin
10-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Returning Survival Horror to its rightful place

This is like the 20th post here of people that want to express their feelings about the game..

That is remarkable Smile

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Post != thread

I think if mods merge all those threads we will get -5 pages in this section >_>

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(10-10-2010, 02:12 PM)Kein Wrote: Post != thread

I think of mods merge all those threads we will get -5 pages in this section >_>

Also the 'look I got to the hole in the ceiling'-threads.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Find