Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

So, what did you think of the ending?
hollodri Offline

Threads: 1
So, what did you think of the ending?

Spoilers, obviously!

First: I absolutely loved, loved the game. One of the most intense gaming experiences I ever had.

But the ending... I dunno. I'm talking about the very last room. Compared to pretty much the entire rest of the game it felt awfully... "computer-gamey". Stereotypical "electricity-beams", a floating evil guy in the middle, a typical end-boss scenario, a boring puzzle, generally a well-lit room with colorful lighting and effects and little of the atmosphere of the rest of the game. It's great that there are 3 endings but their impact on the overall experience is minimal.

There are nearly a dozen scenes in the game that would have been more a more memorable choice for a finale.
10-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5
RE: So, what did you think of the ending?

er ....wut ending ?

I finished ending up in jail and got eaten by the darkness followed by endcredits ....

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zi08k3.jpg

obviously there are more then 1 (bad/good) ending i yet have to discover Wink
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Website Find
martinstatic Offline

Threads: 0

(10-10-2010, 08:48 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: er ....wut ending ?

I finished ending up in jail and got eaten by the darkness followed by endcredits ....

Hehe you're joking right? You're meant to break out of the prison, pull bricks out of a weak part the wall Tongue

10-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

(10-10-2010, 09:15 PM)martinstatic Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 08:48 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: er ....wut ending ?

Hehe you're joking right? You're meant to break out of the prison, pull bricks out of a weak part the wall Tongue

ARE YOU SERIOUSSSS ????

I waited in the cell (standing on a chair ...just like in the pic) for about 15 to 20 minutes untill the red slime (darkness) swallowed me ...

but ... , i still have a save prior to that event and i will follow your advice of pulling bricks instead of shitting bricks waiting for certain death Sad

*damn , i must look stupid now *

?
10-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Website Find
Crabski Offline

Threads: 2

Blame Lovecraft, hollodri. Frictional seem to be huge fans because they always take a few pages out his book; mostly the strange, supernatural finales that tend to fall flat on more grounded horror fans. Some people find Lovecraft really interesting, others (like myself) don't.
10-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Find
martinstatic Offline

(10-10-2010, 09:24 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: i will follow your advice of pulling bricks instead of shitting bricks waiting for certain death Sad

*damn , i must look stupid now *

haha nah, personally I had to use a guide to get out, so we all look as equally stupid Tongue

10-11-2010, 03:33 AM
Find
Miel Offline

(10-10-2010, 09:53 PM)Crabski Wrote: Blame Lovecraft, hollodri. Frictional seem to be huge fans because they always take a few pages out his book; mostly the strange, supernatural finales that tend to fall flat on more grounded horror fans. Some people find Lovecraft really interesting, others (like myself) don't.

I'm a huge Lovecraft geek and the ending disappointed me, but I wouldn't say it's particularly Lovecraftian. Lovecraft would have ended it with an ambiguous death in the face of some horrifying tentacle-monster, or with the main character committing suicide in an insane asylum. Then some outraged villagers would have dynamited the castle. I almost think a Lovecraftian ending would have been better. The actual ending was just... meh.
10-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

(10-11-2010, 07:35 AM)Miel Wrote: I'm a huge Lovecraft geek and the ending disappointed me, but I wouldn't say it's particularly Lovecraftian. Lovecraft would have ended it with an ambiguous death in the face of some horrifying tentacle-monster, or with the main character committing suicide in an insane asylum.

I can hardly have said to have read all of Lovecraft, but I can't recall ever having one of the protagonists commit suicide inside an insane asylum. One or the other, yes.

On the other hand, two of the endings do allow you to effectively commit suicide.
10-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Find
Miel Offline

Haha, sorry, I just mashed together all of Lovecraft's favourite endings. A story that included a tentacle monster, a protagonist that commits suicide in an insane asylum, and an ancient ruin being dynamited would be too Lovecraftian for HPL himself.

Lovecraft wanted to create stories that would 'scare an atheist', and his way of doing so was to end his stories with either an inescapable horror, or with protagonist returning to the normal world, but irrevocably damaged by their experience.

The bad ending is slightly Lovecraftian, but the emphasis on justice with Daniel getting what he deserved offsets that. There is no justice in Lovecraft's world. Only cosmic indifference. I don't think the other two endings are very Lovecraftian at all. The revenge ending once again has an emphasis on justice, and I assume that Daniel escapes mostly sane. The good ending is, well, good. Dedicated Lovecraft readers raise an eyebrown when HPL writes a happy ending. It's just not his style.
10-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4126.html

Why make the thread if there is already one, from the devs even?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Find