Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Hiding mechanics better
kopa Offline

Threads: 1
Hiding mechanics better

There is one thing that bothered me in Amnesia, and that was that there wasn't always a logical connection between a monster appearing and the thing you just did, which made the game mechanics stick out a lot. For example, finishing a puzzle would spawn a monster that would try to find you, but it didn't make sense because the thing I just accomplished didn't make off a sound or hit some kind of environmental mechanic to trigger it.

I still managed to play through an immersive run, but I had to actively ignore these elements the few times it happened.

It doesn't apply to every time an enemy spawned, though. For example, some times when enemies spawned when I moved through the environment and enemies spawned, it was harder for me to locate the trigger, and it felt more natural. The chase scenes for example, didn't break my suspension of belief.

Also, I might be the only one, but I thought the text regarding the assembling of the orb to be confusing. I was looking for a "work area" that was more similar to a work bench of some sorts and completely ignored the pedestal. As I understood it was that I should assemble the orb somewhere (work area) and then move it to the area of use.

Great game! I hope that you'll keep improving as vastly as you've done throughout all your games! Overture, Black Plague and now Amnesia have always had such big leaps (in my opinion) of improvements. It'll be interesting to see what you have in store for us!
10-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Hiding mechanics better

You solve the puzzle/make some progress -- a monster appears.

C'mon, this is classic. And this is 556$ budget game. What did you expect? ;P

Wait for the new Fric's game, it will be full-fledged product.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Find
Crabski Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Hiding mechanics better

I agree completely, on all points.
10-13-2010, 03:28 AM
Find