Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Box shot?
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

Box shot?

Gamespot has this image currently attached to the gamespace.

I like the art style. And the image reminds me quite a lot of John Carpenter's The Thing. Smile The whole thing is very tasteful. However, I'm not sure the cover would quite catch my eye in the store. As good as it looks it's not a very interesting (or fitting) subject, and I would have chosen a cooler palette for it myself.

What does everyone else think?
01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Unregistered

RE: Box shot?

Too red, I think. I like the old wallpaper of Phillip (your character, if I recall correctly) approaching the Greenland outpost door.

But as nice as that looks, it's too "soft". It's very light-blue and has no hardness to it, but if something could be done to feature the portal to the outpost, make it stand out somehow and be as forboding as it really is once you step inside I think it would be very effective and a real eye-grabber on shelves.

Spend some $$ on the cover art. Get lots of samples. Promotion is everything in the game biz.

Show them to us, and let us vote. Then ignore our votes, get a pro marketer in, and go from there.

Penumbra: Overture will *have* to stand out against all the other games on the shelves, but the "red" box is just too much. It's too overdone, and doesn't look at all characteristic of the game (or what I've seen of it from the original demo).

Find a way artistically to "scarify" and emphasize the utter isolation and feeling of the unknown in all that beautiful Arctic ice and snow.

The tension created between sheer horror and the boundless frozen tundra beauty could be stunning.

Heck, run it by me. The best way is tell is to use your feelings - how you feel when looking at it. Where does your imagination take you when seeing for the first time, for example. It should scare the crap out of the potential game purchaser - but only by using the viewers' own imagination of how scary this game could (and will) be.

And stop showing all the monsters. They are spoiling the game too much.

I am SO pleased you are keeping it an Adventure game. That's what made it so scary in the first place.
01-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

I really, really like the title graphic at the end of the Overture teaser. I think it would be perfect to use that one along with something that fits the bluish palette. Maybe an image where you're in a dark room looking up a ladder at an opened portal, your only source of light, and streams of snow are blowing in from the winds.

*shrugs* I don't know. That's why it's not my job. :p
01-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Sepai Offline

Threads: 10

sorry folks I just like it

Simple and to the point
I wonder if episode 2 will be based on the same cover but just with more colour (yes a wild speculation here by me)
01-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Find
gamgam2 Offline

Threads: 23

It kinda looks like a mountant rescue, or some sewers, not really scary. It's okay, and would be great if it had something scary in it.
PS: Gamespot is evil. Full of people who have worse grammar and spelling than me who go "LOL UR MOM LOOLOLOLOL"
Next comment: "LOL GOOD ONE ROFL UR MOM HAHAHAHAH"

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
01-12-2007, 04:22 AM
Website Find
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

Fortunately I don't go there for the community. Wink
01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Unregistered

I like it, nothing will ever catch my eye in a video game store unless i'm there looking for something specifically (or unless it has boobies on it). But I think this works with the premise of the game, I could definetly see myself picking it up and checking out what it was if I hadn't already known or seen the boxart? If that makes sense?
01-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Jusal Offline

Threads: 0

Well, personally I wouldn't mind a different cover. If I didn't know anything about Penumbra the first glance at the box would probably make me think it's just another FPS game (First Person Shooter). Simply too... red. Too strongly colored. Hardly gives the impression it's an adventure/horror game in that box.
01-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Find
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

Jusal Wrote:Well, personally I wouldn't mind a different cover. If I didn't know anything about Penumbra the first glance at the box would probably make me think it's just another FPS game (First Person Shooter). Simply too... red. Too strongly colored. Hardly gives the impression it's an adventure/horror game in that box.
My thoughts exactly. Smile
01-14-2007, 08:25 AM
J2K Offline

Threads: 0

I don't think it looks too much like a FPS because he's not holding a gun. Also, I love the flames of the torch.
02-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Find