Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia for Science. Stress testing
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia for Science. Stress testing

Let the games begin
10-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Find
Amakir Offline

Threads: 1

(10-14-2010, 05:29 PM)superluser Wrote:
(10-14-2010, 04:59 PM)mattwestwick Wrote: One last thought. Would it be possible to obtain a physical copy of the game?
I could get it from steam although linking this up with different computers could be an issue.

Even if you got a physical copy, you'd only be able to legally use it one one computer. I'm sure Frictional would be willing to talk about site licenses for someone who is looking to get their game into the scientific literature.

Thats just stupid.
10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(10-19-2010, 08:14 AM)Amakir Wrote: Thats just stupid.

Not sure I agree.
10-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

They gave me a few serial codes so I can use it on a high end video editing computer and also on a linux boot computer for physiological measurements. Marvellous stuff.
10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Find
Slith Offline

Threads: 4

Congratz!

FG is such a great company Big Grin
10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

So to resurrect an old thread, I have been busting my chops getting the sensors working but I have now designed very discreet temperature and heart rate monitors to be used while playing the game. These should give a clear indication on how a person's body is reacting to stressful situations.

I have to do a little more construction and maybe add a couple filters but it's almost done.
Again I can't divulge exactly how it works (if you haven't already guessed that is) but I will get a video of some Amnesia testing hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

Sorry for the long delay on this but I have been largely distracted by my other little invention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dubjRZRMj4M

Excuse the expression on my face, it was dark and I was concentrating!
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM by mattwestwick.)
02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Find
Doctorcheese Offline

Threads: 28

Amnesia for science you say?

To the laboratory!

''Sick, twisted child... You'll burn for this!''
02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

I'm keen to see the results from this Big Grin Can you talk a bit more about your testing methods and what you're hoping to find?
02-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

(02-09-2011, 08:09 PM)Doctorcheese Wrote: Amnesia for science you say?

To the laboratory!

Hmm... we might need to sharpen the saw first.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Well there's two aspects to the study.

One is for more "serious" uses such as monitoring stress in the workplace. This will involve testing a group of people with both a boring, monotonous test similar to sitting in the office all day. And it will also include a high-tension test to mimic say, a big deadline coming up or a really difficult and nerve-racking task. The results from these should be about opposite and will be analysed to indicate varying stress levels in computer based work.

It's already known that stress affects physiological responses like temperature and heart rate but the point of my project is that I have designed a more convenient and discrete way of measuring these while you work.

At the same time however, I need to calibrate the device with something that will give extreme results. So guess where Amnesia comes in.

As well as a health monitoring system I think it could work great for more novel purposes such as within games or toys. Much like nintendo was attempting with this thingy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Remote#...ity_Sensor
and then ubisoft with their "innergy".

Just think of the mean things you could do to a player if you knew their heart rate was slowly relaxing.

BOOF!! Duh-Du Duh-Du Duh-Du

This is where the two products I mentioned failed. They were designed to relax the user.
Anyway I hope this was informative I need to hasten to the laboratory now, but don't get excited it's not that cool in there and it tends to smell of B.O.
02-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Find