Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia for Science. Stress testing
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6
Amnesia for Science. Stress testing

-Update: The great folks at frictional are on board with the idea. Now I have free reign to thoroughly scare people witless in the name of science. I will make sure my progress is updated regularly.-

Hi folks I'm new here but let me say I was hooked on the demo for dark descent after playing it this week and looking back through some of the game's development.

I am currently starting my final year project in electronics. The project is about measuring stress levels through a pc. I can't go into much more detail as the design and hardware will be patented if successful.

I feel that this game would be ideal for generating acute levels of stress in test subjects and would match the hardware perfectly.

The meaning of the project is to monitor more prolonged stress while using a pc but for the testing stage I need something that will provide rapid fluctuations in areas like blood oxygen, temperature and body movement.

So basically what I'm looking for is permission from frictional to use their game in my project and of course use it as reference in any research that may be published.

One last thought. Would it be possible to obtain a physical copy of the game?
I could get it from steam although linking this up with different computers could be an issue.

Any other support or thoughts from the company or forums would be much appreciated and naturally I will post back on my progress. If you want to get in direct contact you can send a pm and I'll send my email address.

Regards,
Matt
10-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia for Science. Stress testing

(10-14-2010, 04:59 PM)mattwestwick Wrote: One last thought. Would it be possible to obtain a physical copy of the game?
I could get it from steam although linking this up with different computers could be an issue.

Even if you got a physical copy, you'd only be able to legally use it one one computer. I'm sure Frictional would be willing to talk about site licenses for someone who is looking to get their game into the scientific literature.
10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Yes I can see how that would be an issue. I could just use my laptop but there are some excellent editing computers in the lab I use which would be excellent for a testing session.

Still, at this stage I'm really just looking to see if its ok to use and reference their software.
10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

You could more simply just buy however many copies you need running concurrently. It's not an expensive license.
10-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Find
Megadrixfire Offline

Threads: 0

Buy the game from steam.
Then download it from another page free, since you've alredy payd for the game Wink, getting extra copies isnt ilegal, only if you sell them or publish them for download.
10-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Find
NGW Offline

Threads: 13

(10-15-2010, 03:28 AM)Megadrixfire Wrote: Buy the game from steam.
Then download it from another page free, since you've alredy payd for the game Wink, getting extra copies isnt ilegal, only if you sell them or publish them for download.

..that isn't true in the slightest.

[Image: ngweyesigcopy.jpg]
10-15-2010, 03:36 AM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

The important part is that I first get permission to use and reference the game in the project before I buy it.

I have been trying to contact frictional but I can't find any direct contact details.
10-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

This is the Contact Page.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Find
Vanishing Offline

Threads: 2

If this is successful..it could be a source of "advertisement" for amnesia..Smile
10-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Thanks Frontcannon. I don't know why I couldn't find that. It's not on their main page. Now I see it down below.
10-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Find