Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Cursed Summoning, part one
Entih Offline

Threads: 4
Cursed Summoning, part one

Ah, finally, feels like I have been working on this for an eternity. Unreliable schedule for working on things like this, what with school and work. And to think, some people thought I'd never finish it!

The first map/chapter of the custom story I started just to feel out the scripting and editor is done, quite a bit grander than the original concept of 'figure things out'. It was not made to be hard, or challenging, or even long, but to just be interesting, thus is event and story centric rather than puzzle centric.

Screenshots, spoiler'd for size:
Spoiler below!

[Image: amnesia2010101615323238.png]

[Image: amnesia2010101615352876.png]

[Image: amnesia2010101615402275.png]

"I came to the dusk meeting as the note from the Higher Caste said, but sat idle and alone. Awaking from an ill timed slumber, I found remnants and discardings, as if they had the meeting while I slept. Where did everyone go?"

Download link here (Megaupload): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RCERFPY4

Hopefully I included everything there, but there's not much that could have been left out.

You just unzip the zip file such that the folder inside, 'CursedSummoning', is in the custom stories folder. If it does not show up in the custom story list after that, and you have more than one story, click on one that shows up and hit the up arrow on the keyboard. I have noticed that my story gets cut off for myself when there is another story that has a name that comes alphabetically after C.

Some fun facts. Over the course of making this map, Steam says I had played Amnesia for 55 hours. The main script file for the map is 1200 lines long. There may still be bugs at some points, but I have trouble replicating and isolating them to fix. There is a hidden area.

First person who finds the hidden area and screenshots the entrance (you'll know what I mean if you find it) and the hidden area itself without cheating gets a cookie.

Enjoy, and let me know how you liked it!
10-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Cursed Summoning, part one

Could do with a bit more lantern oil and/or tinderboxes I think, but nevertheless, very good. I'm
Spoiler below!
stuck on the alchemical ingredients, having only managed to find plain water and the 'blood potion' (sorry, I can't remember what it's called).

But on the whole, very good.

Wow - what a mansion!
10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Find
Entih Offline

I didn't want too much oil in there. You don't need it. I also intentionally put in a very specific number of tinderboxes.
10-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

I thought that was probably the case. I'll go back and read the notes again.

Just as an aside, I managed to get onto the balcony surrounding the dining room.

Wow - what a mansion!
10-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Find
Mekose Offline

Threads: 1

Oooh I've been excited about this one for awhile now. I'll run through it and message some feedback later. That is, if I don't quit from being too scared.
10-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Find
house Offline

Threads: 11

Looks nice. Good map making.
10-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Find
Mekose Offline

Threads: 1

Fantastic! That was the best mod I've played. I recorded the whole session but the video got corrupted unfortunately Sad. That really was very enjoyable. Too bad the video can't show my little girly screams (not really . . . maybe). I'll have to replay it later and recapture the video.

The presentation was great, the editor work was on par with Frictional. I loved what you did with the floors. Having the wood border and tile in the middle with spaced rugs broke up the monotony very well. The subtle encounter was very spooky and started my heart pumping. What most mods fail to capture is atmosphere, this mod captures it perfectly. There are no little continuity errors, everything is immersive and involving. I appreciate how you took the moon's location into consideration. Having the only the windows on one side cast rays is very thoughtful.
This was the first mod I've played that I really enjoyed and got involved in. I'll re-record the video later and post it, provided I can get SnagIt working.
10-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

Will record my playthrough, this looks promising!

Just two things:
#1: please crop your screenshots, guys, I know you can.
#2: DO NOT USE megaupload. It sucks ass. I recommend MediaFire.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

I'm through, great mod! It was a bit.. well, classic, but entertaining nonetheless. Only thing I didn't like were the notes.. way too drawn out and not really worth the read (especially the Alchemy note).

Playthrough is recorded, too bad I couldn't find the 3rd tinderbox Sad

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Find
BulletInTheHart Offline

I've just encountered my first monster/gatherer/servant/enemy scared the shit outta me, when not recording for youtube I play with gamma at 1.00 so it was very dark I couldn't see him at all, then he just came up to the lit candle and I sprinted for my life, very good indeed Smile!

"If you're mind makes up what you see then who's to say you're not just seeing what you want?"
10-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Find