Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ATI And Current Linux distributions
DigitalPioneer
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: ATI And Current Linux distributions

The game doesn't work anymore. Not sure if 9.8 did it, but that would be my guess. Now when I start playing, it works for about half a second, then the screen locks up though the sound keeps working just fine. Gameplay itself has stopped, not just the graphics, because the rock worm doesn't eat me. :)

I want my game back! :'(
08-22-2009, 07:17 PM
ion Offline

Threads: 2

(08-21-2009, 04:53 AM)Urkle Wrote: I'm going to be testing the 9.8 drivers tomorrow, but I would love feedback on if that fixes issues for people using "current" distros (Ubuntu 9, fedora 11, etc...)

OH, and be sure to pester AMD/ATI about getting their legacy drivers updated :-D.

9.8 is incompatible with the 1K series, which are in a lot of laptops and systems within the last 2-3 years.

We have to use the open drivers or stick with the out dated crap.
08-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

yeah.. I know.. I was getting ready to install linux on my Macbook pro which has an X1650 in it, and of course (that's when I found out about 9.8 finally being released) only the legacy drivers would work.

where as I can load up the nvidia legacy drivers for a 5200 and they work fine on an newer distro. I really wish ATI/AMD would either update all their drivers regularly with the distributions being released, OR if they don't want to support their older cards, then open the full specs and even aid the Opensource development of the drivers so the community can maintain it.. they are more than willing to do so.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
08-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Website Find
nybor Offline

Threads: 0

Quote:OR if they don't want to support their older cards, then open the full specs and even aid the Opensource development of the drivers so the community can maintain it.. they are more than willing to do so.

I think that's exactly what they've done. ATI has released a lot of documentation, and because of that the open source driver is coming along in leaps and bounds.

Full opengl 1.5, including VBO support, is arriving with mesa 7.6. I tested Penumbra using the xorg crack pushers ppa on ubuntu and with a recent build of mesa 7.6 I was able to get past the black screen after intro issue (iMac core duo, x1600), although the graphics still had some issues (I've got my fingers crossed that they'll be worked out before release).
08-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Find
grib Offline

Threads: 1

I was able to make Debian install the 9.8 drivers today. Good news! With shader quality set to "High", my previous problems (disappearing objects, psychedelic texture crawling) disappear.

With "Low" or "Medium" quality shader settings, the problems persist.

Performance feels quite a bit snappier, too.
08-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

The updated Linux patch (testing) is out in this thread. I did manage to get catalyst 9.8 working on fedora (using the RPMfusion RPMS). And tested the game on my HD 2600 card. I'm going to test the game on my X1650 card later with the open source drivers and mesa 7.6 to see if the game actually runs. But there really isn't much I can do until the open source drivers get further along in the OpenGL support.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
08-31-2009, 02:19 AM
Website Find
handy Offline

Hi, first post. Smile

I tried running Overture 1.1, from the Bundle, & it sounded brilliant, & the speed was fine (as far as I got), but the game froze with sound still working fine. I had to warm boot my way out.

I'm using Arch64, & kernel .34 & the other associated dev' packages that give me the best open-source support for the HD2600Pro GPU in my 24" iMac.

I suspect that the reason the game crashed is because of the open-source drivers & such.

Any word from the dev's here on the open-source ATi GPU situation?

I know it is just a matter of time... Smile
05-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

I don't think the open-source drivers is anything that we have tested with, so if it works or not is by chance. So to run the game it is recommended to use the drivers from ati/nvidia.
05-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Website Find
minozake Offline

I've gotten the game to work with the open source drivers, but it's riddled with graphical glitchiness. I don't really have much of an option unless I switch distros. I'm just declaring that, for me, the open source drivers work a little on a Radeon HD 3000.
05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Find
yman Offline

Threads: 3

Offtopic: There is no such thing as Ubuntu 8 or Ubuntu 9. Ubuntu version numbers are based on the date the release is made. Ubuntu 8.04 was released on April 2008, Ubuntu 9.10 was released on October 2009.
10-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Find