Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Stories
OpulentMaelstrom Offline

Threads: 1
Smile  Custom Stories

So I wanna start off saying Frictional Games has made some amazing games. I really love the dark atmosphere they use in their titles, along with the locations. They really know how to make a proper horror game. Smile

I recently finished up SOMA again for the around the 10th time and have to ask the community, where are the custom stories? I remember playing Amnesia years ago and watching them poor in. Most of them were almost as good as the actual game itself. I think I have an average of 300 hours put in.

Now I have done many searches along with the steam workshop and I've found about 4, 15 minute ones. They by all means are to some extent good, and I know it's not easy creating them...but what's the deal?

Did the long time amnesia CS creators move on to new things? Is the new engine a lot more difficult to work with? Is the interest to make them anymore not there? I was going to ask this awhile back, but figured I would give it time and ask here. I really love SOMA and really hope there's gonna be something soon, but the more time that passes I don't know. Even if not, it'll still always be one of my favorite games.
07-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
RE: Custom Stories

It's a lot of new stuff, I'll probably have a demo ready by the end of August though. But ye, SOMA hasn't brought a great influx of new members like Amnesia did and Amnesia was a lot more beginner-friendly.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
07-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Find
OpulentMaelstrom Offline

Threads: 1

That's awesome, I'll be sure to check it out and give feedback.

I used to play around with HPL2 creating a few small custom stories for Amnesia, though it wasn't anywhere good enough to actually publish. Looking at SOMA and the HPL3, it does look a lot more difficult to work with. Even if it didn't bring a new group of members to create stuff, what happen to all the old ones? I wouldn't think they would all just quit, but I could be wrong.
07-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(07-23-2016, 10:19 AM)OpulentMaelstrom Wrote: Even if it didn't bring a new group of members to create stuff, what happen to all the old ones? I wouldn't think they would all just quit, but I could be wrong.

Some of them are still working on things - either finishing up a project in HPL2, or beginning a project in HPL3. Most of the regular modding members here work on quality-based projects; therefore, by putting in more effort and resources into their projects, the time it takes to complete and release a mod increases.

That being said, more and more documentation and support is becoming available for SOMA modding over on the wiki. As we users and modders alike learn more about the engine and the tools at our disposal, the more scenarios, stories and clever uses of script will appear in various campaigns.

It's a shame it takes a long time to do so. However, that's all you can really do. SOMA's modding scene certainly is not as big as Amnesia's, which is a huge downer on progress.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
07-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Find