Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Map preview of Frightened
Vincent Offline

Threads: 7
Map preview of Frightened

Hey guys, this is my first video of a map...

Now remember, this isn't going to be about gameplay.
I just wanted to see if I have a pretty good style of making maps.
Also, the map is in it's VERY early stage, so this isn't the full map.
Don't forget to comment, and criticise me!

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOyASsZdv...r_embedded#!

[Image: 14014353645647cc447974.gif]
10-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Map preview of Frightened

So you want me to criticise your map? Okay, well first of all, there was no music or storyline. Also there was like only 2 rooms and a hallway. And by the way, you also need scripts. It is a good start, but I don't think you should be showing it already. It is way too early in development to do that. But like I said, it's a good start.

10-31-2010, 03:14 AM
Find
house Offline

Threads: 11

Looks awesome!
10-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Looks ok so far. I think the area needs more detail, tough.

Oh, and that barrel you put a candle on, you can make it a static object so it can't be moved by checking its StaticPhysics checkbox.
10-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Find
Vincent Offline

(10-31-2010, 02:01 PM)nofsky Wrote: Looks ok so far. I think the area needs more detail, tough.

Oh, and that barrel you put a candle on, you can make it a static object so it can't be moved by checking its StaticPhysics checkbox.

Hehe yeah I know that, I just tend to forget that sometime.

And the last room you saw, with all the red stuff won't be there, it'll be a level door, since for some reason, the floor doesn't appear...

I might do it if someone could help me with it.

10-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Find
Vincent Offline

This level is kind of bugged, so I'm making a new one, just a quick announcement.

I could not make other levels, as one room wouldn't change no matter what I did... Even if I removed a wall, then saved and started game, the wall would still be door, and if I made a door frame with doors etc, it would show the door stuck in the wall... odd

So heading off to a new start... again.

10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Find
Seuchensoldat Offline

Threads: 3

Try deleting the map_cache file which should be named "yourmapname.map_cache". At least it worked with my maps.
10-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Find
Vincent Offline

Oops sorry for post, had a problem, it's fixed now.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2010, 10:31 PM by Vincent.)
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1

I'm not talking about scripts, size or story. I'll discuss the map design you showed.

1st - Lights
While the level has lamps it probably doesn't have many lights. That makes the room look awkward like light doesn't spread as it should. Try covering the whole thing in a boxlight(very very faint) and then add pointlights with 0 color and connect them to existing lights so they light a bigger area and look more realistic. I suggest a pointlight in the middle of the 1st room. The second is better.

2nd - Entities
Make the barrel where that candle stands not interactive so you don't move it while the candle stays in place. Also think of a objective for a room. The nice table with the papers doesn't combine with the used closet. Either make it a nice room with good looking entities or a more rusty looking room. Also the lamp is essential, make sure in the later phase it is easy to find and can't be missed. Maybe add some more stuff to interact. Place some books that can be moved of wine bottles, if the player can't "touch" the environment it looks like the map is all glued.

3rd - Decals
Add some decals. A broken wall, some dirt on the ground or walls, something to break the monotony of the wall textures. Try to create a story for the place. Maybe some blood that is on the ground and leads to that closed closet/door, and when opened maybe some body parts or a blood pool inside. Make the player feel like that area is real. Something happened there (generally something bad) and that its not just a room.
In the official game for example the storage lvl has the girl you hear in flashbacks, being taken and then killed. That adds a identity to the place.

4th - Sound
Not much to say since it doesn't have any. That not bad if thats the mood you want, but then adding some rats, ambiance sound (wind, engines, etc) or something just to break the silence.

Okay i think thats it. Good luck on you map and be sure that the cool stuff you do is visible to the player, be it by scripts or by well placed lights.
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Find
Vincent Offline

(11-03-2010, 06:39 PM)HakePT Wrote: I'm not talking about scripts, size or story. I'll discuss the map design you showed.

1st - Lights
While the level has lamps it probably doesn't have many lights. That makes the room look awkward like light doesn't spread as it should. Try covering the whole thing in a boxlight(very very faint) and then add pointlights with 0 color and connect them to existing lights so they light a bigger area and look more realistic. I suggest a pointlight in the middle of the 1st room. The second is better.

2nd - Entities
Make the barrel where that candle stands not interactive so you don't move it while the candle stays in place. Also think of a objective for a room. The nice table with the papers doesn't combine with the used closet. Either make it a nice room with good looking entities or a more rusty looking room. Also the lamp is essential, make sure in the later phase it is easy to find and can't be missed. Maybe add some more stuff to interact. Place some books that can be moved of wine bottles, if the player can't "touch" the environment it looks like the map is all glued.

3rd - Decals
Add some decals. A broken wall, some dirt on the ground or walls, something to break the monotony of the wall textures. Try to create a story for the place. Maybe some blood that is on the ground and leads to that closed closet/door, and when opened maybe some body parts or a blood pool inside. Make the player feel like that area is real. Something happened there (generally something bad) and that its not just a room.
In the official game for example the storage lvl has the girl you hear in flashbacks, being taken and then killed. That adds a identity to the place.

4th - Sound
Not much to say since it doesn't have any. That not bad if thats the mood you want, but then adding some rats, ambiance sound (wind, engines, etc) or something just to break the silence.

Okay i think thats it. Good luck on you map and be sure that the cool stuff you do is visible to the player, be it by scripts or by well placed lights.

This map was very early, I didn't start the pointlights etc yet.
Anyway, I have a new map, it has pointlights, etc to it.
So yeah, it'll have more sound eventually, after I'm done with first map.
Decals will be included too.

11-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Find