Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Detective Custom Story for Amnesia - brainstorm
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Detective Custom Story for Amnesia - brainstorm

My vision for the hub room is an office-like place. Comprised mostly of AMFP walls and entities, I'm thinking something similar to these images:

Spoiler below!
[Image: 0b531e13888ca89def5b5a49902ec4a1.jpg]

[Image: 7250627c7155a62a5cdd35f11c5ebb1a.jpg]

Unless this is where he lives (is it gonna be an office, or motel room, or home?), bed and kitchen assets might seem a bit out of place.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2016, 05:18 PM by Mudbill.)
10-22-2016, 05:18 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

That's exactly what I have in mind! I would place this office place in a home though. There would be a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, office, and, if we want to involve supernatural stuff, a small library with weird literature (player would be able to inspect books to see some fancy names, and sometimes read them if it would help in investigation).
@Romulator: I wanted the mod to be generally more Machine-for-Pigs-ish than Dark-Descentish (You used plain mansionbase). I will prototype the apartment and then we'll start screwing around with it.

Btw, I have copied some MFP assets that didn't require special conversions (like the phone did). I have entities and static objects that I found most useful for the project - bathroom, new mansionbase, and, most important, the streetbase for building city maps. As far as I know, Frictional allowed us to use these assets in Dark Descent mods. So I'm sharing the ones I have:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3JDGK...VpOWGdSZmM
There are some assets that don't work in there, but I didn't have time to sort them out. They don't crash the editor though. And there are some that overlap with DD, but not too much.

As I can see, you guys are planning a Full Conversion, or am I wrong ?
Does this Discord thing save the conversations ? So people could catch up if they weren't present during chat ? If yes, I think we can use it. I registered to check how it looks, my username is darkfire.

Also, how can we solve the problem of working on the same files across a few computers? We ofc could use dropbox, but we'd still have to kinda take turns working, wouldn't we ? Btw, is google drive any worse than dropbox ?

I have an idea that the investigation would revolve around the bloody bathtub entity from MFP. FYI it's not only bloody, but it has some flesh inside, too. Could be a serial killer, who chops his victims and throws them in the bath, or something similar. Is this idea good enough or are we looking for something else ?

I've found music that pretty much fulfils my needs for moodiness. They're a band with a contract though, so I doubt they will accept us sharing it for free in a game. But we're looking for that kind of sound. Look especially at the song "Street Tattoo" that starts at 19:23

Last but not least, I'm thinking that the protagonist would be called William. But I'm not too sure about the surname, maybe something starting with B ? He would either be a legit detective or a rogue freelancer that would try to beat the police to solving the case.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016, 12:50 PM by Darkfire.)
10-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Using a full converstion would benefit this mod a lot, like the custom icons used for inspection among other things. So yes.

From what I know, Google Drive isn't very different from Dropbox. I personally use Dropbox over Drive and I'm more familiar with it, but we could go either way.

I can add you on Discord, but I'll need your ID as well. Mine is Mudbill#8539

People editing the same files could be an issue, so perhaps the best thing to do would be to "claim" certain files first. Say we have a folder with each username in the shared directory, move files from the "main" project in there when you edit it, then back when you're done. Idk, it might be too much hassle, but some system like that might be possible to set up.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016, 12:53 PM by Mudbill.)
10-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

That system could work, yeah. Let's wait a little for what Rom thinks and I think we can start setting it up.
Already added you, but mine is darkfire#8851

10-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(10-23-2016, 12:34 PM)Darkfire Wrote: @Romulator: I wanted the mod to be generally more Machine-for-Pigs-ish than Dark-Descentish (You used plain mansionbase). I will prototype the apartment and then we'll start screwing around with it.

No problem! Like I said in my post, that place was how I envisioned it based on my previous mod testing stuff - the idea of working from a motel room or small living quarters since you weren't exactly the most upper-class citizen. It meant I had to design little in terms of a base of operations, but enough so that the environment suited the protagonists' needs at the time. For example, in the bathroom, there was a broken wall where stolen contraband would go until it was sold. Items and evidence were stored in the cupboard, ordered items to cook to stay fed, etc. Plenty of more can be done, especially with the MFP assets!

I'm more familiar with Google Drive, but I do have experience with Dropbox and Github, so I do know what it's like to take files, edit them, merge them and make comments if necessary.

Since I have bought MFP, just a matter of moving everything over and getting out my old bat to remove all the .msh and .anm files.

I also agree with Mudbill in that a Full Conversion would be better. We don't really have a reason not to anymore, considering the Full Conversion bugs with Steam's TDD copy have been resolved~

Yes, the bathtub may not be a bad idea considering its state. Since it does have two entities (a clean and bloodied one), we could also make use of revisiting locations. There are probably other smaller investigations we could use as well, but it may be best to focus on a main story, then build off that.

Romulator#4942 on Discord. Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Alright, so I've created a Discord server for this project that we can use. If you have a Discord account, follow this link and you're good to go. Feel free to add me at the handle above if you have issues.

(this message targeted at anyone)

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016, 01:56 PM by Mudbill.)
10-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Find