Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Custom Story Problems!
Verkehr Offline

Threads: 13
Question  Custom Story Problems!

Whenever I try to make for the Coin Bag (small) an icon for the inventory, it won't work. I've also set it to a puzzle item via the model editor, and it still doesn't show up. Help? Sad
10-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Custom Story Problems!

Okay, so first off:

Are you able to pick up the item in your level? It says "Picked up Coins" for example? And then the item disappears?

Is the issue that after picking it up, it doesn't get added to your inventory? Did you make sure to open the original coins bag .ent file and then SAVE AS a different name when you edited it to be Item > Puzzle?

You need to have assigned an inventory icon for the item to show up in your inventory. Do you have one? If you're unsure if the one you have works, you can test assigning another icon from the default collection in /graphics/items.

PS: This thread will surely be moved to the development section in not too long. This section is mostly used for technical issues with the unaltered game.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2016, 10:40 AM by Mudbill.)
10-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Find
Verkehr Offline

(10-20-2016, 10:29 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Okay, so first off:

Are you able to pick up the item in your level? It says "Picked up Coins" for example? And then the item disappears?

Is the issue that after picking it up, it doesn't get added to your inventory? Did you make sure to open the original coins bag .ent file and then SAVE AS a different name when you edited it to be Item > Puzzle?

You need to have assigned an inventory icon for the item to show up in your inventory. Do you have one? If you're unsure if the one you have works, you can test assigning another icon from the default collection in /graphics/items.

PS: This thread will surely be moved to the development section in not too long. This section is mostly used for technical issues with the unaltered game.

I AM able to pick up the item, and I even saved it (but not in a different name) as a puzzle entity, and when I tak it, it won't show up. Do I need a png, or any other file? these are the files i currently have.
10-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I looked at your .ent file:

PHP Code: (Select All)
<UserDefinedVariables EntitySubType="Coins" EntityType="Item"

Apparently you didn't set (or didn't save) the entity as Item > Puzzle. Since it's set as Item > Coins, it isn't added to the inventory upon pickup.

I recommend you open the .ent file in the model editor, edit the type, then SAVE AS for example coins_small_inv.ent. Try that. Remember to place the new entity in your level and remove the old.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2016, 11:39 AM by Mudbill.)
10-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Find
Verkehr Offline

(10-20-2016, 11:37 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I looked at your .ent file:

PHP Code: (Select All)
<UserDefinedVariables EntitySubType="Coins" EntityType="Item"

Apparently you didn't set (or didn't save) the entity as Item > Puzzle. Since it's set as Item > Coins, it isn't added to the inventory upon pickup.

I recommend you open the .ent file in the model editor, edit the type, then SAVE AS for example coins_small_inv.ent. Try that. Remember to place the new entity in your level and remove the old.

Ohh wait, could it be that I simply changed on the already placed entity the entity of the one that's supposed to work, and it didn't work? But I'll try so, thanks for trying your best to help me. Smile
10-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Find
Verkehr Offline

Thanks, Now I've fixed it! The only thing bothering me now is how to make the picture look better, it's poorly made XD. But I'm very thankful. Smile
10-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I'm not all too familiar with Paint.NET but it should be a good, free solution to your problem. Can also use Gimp (multiplatform and open source).

10-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

The best way to probably get a good image for your coins is to simply take a screenshot of the entity, then import it into Paint.NET and apply transparency as you see fit.

Feel free to ask questions about Paint.NET because I can help a little more there. :3

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Find
Verkehr Offline

(10-20-2016, 02:44 PM)Romulator Wrote: The best way to probably get a good image for your coins is to simply take a screenshot of the entity, then import it into Paint.NET and apply transparency as you see fit.

Feel free to ask questions about Paint.NET because I can help a little more there. :3

In Mudbill's videos on youtube, he uses photoshop and alpha channels to make the same. Do I have to use that, or is it the same as with regular transparent pictures?
10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

You still have to use alpha channels, but both Paint.NET and Gimp support that. It's a different process with the same result.

10-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Find