Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Project - The UNKNOWN Descent
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: New Project - The UNKNOWN Descent

You can use global variables to make sure that those events do not happen multiple times.

02-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Find
zionifl Offline

Threads: 10

(02-23-2017, 07:25 PM)Slanderous Wrote: I actually kinda like the overall idea behind this, though I'd also add something for the coins so that they wouldn't be pointless to collect. In the original game, they planned to have chests scattered across the levels that'd be only openable if the player has a certain amount of coins. You can still get this mechanic to work - I believe I have those bonus chest entities, so if you'd like to use them, contact me.

Although I do agree with the previous posters - you might want to upgrade your rig or at least run the game in a lesser resolution. It is truly painful to watch those videos in like 5 frames per second.

Thanks for the advice for optimizing my frames. Also, i had been looking around the super secret folder and reading some concepts. The coins weren't only used to open chests, but to open some doors and trade with specific NPCs. Here is this specific text about the other coin possibilities.

Coins are the main item found when exploring the environment and can be found in nearly all
containers and compartments. They come in various value sizes and can be used to unlock doors, by
bribing characters, or to open special treasure chests that require a certain amount of coins (varies
from object to object). The doors unlocked might lead to secret areas and enable the player to
progress without completing some missions. Treasure chests contain player resources and some
times puzzle items and are meant to give the player a boost. Only in very rare cases is a coin-locked
chest or door compulsory to open.

So that is it. Also i would like to get the locked chest mechanic to work. I am the only one working in this mod, but i think i can handle anything (Note: I'm NOT gonna make weapons. I don't have the skills Undecided ). You can contact me, but only through email though. I don't have Skype or anything. So please, contact me and teach me or at least give me an entity or script to get this working. Smile

(02-23-2017, 07:49 PM)Mudbill Wrote: You can use global variables to make sure that those events do not happen multiple times.

Ok. I will try my best. Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017, 10:34 PM by zionifl.)
02-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Find
zionifl Offline

Some answers

Hello!

I am here to say some stuff:

1. This mod is NOT an total conversion or an custom story. Imagine an custom lantern mod. So, this project is like that so it will overwrite you ENTIRE game, so make a backup of your game BEFORE installing this modification.

2. I discovered the coin-unlockable chest. The normal chest is an "LEVER" type entity. The coin-unlockable chest is the "CHEST" type entity. How i got this chest? I was wandering in the ModDB website looking for custom stories to relax when i found this custom story here: Still Alive. (Transylvania in the game files and in the Custom Story menu) I watched a video of the coin mechanic. Before it was made with scripting, but then the developer managed to get the actual chest entity. Now the mod has coin-only chests, but normal chests are still in the game, now coins are not useless anymore.

3. Its an little help. You probabily watched the Alpha Footage from the Super Secret file, right? So, in this footage there are three specific mechanics/effects:

1: Focused interactable-objects had a blue glow around it. Item objects still have this effect when focused.

2: A completion percentage. Before, a percentage showing the status of the level appeared when you completed some quests and when you picked up items. But that was removed from the final game. The level doors have the option to show the percentage, but the option is disabled. (It has a (NOT IN USE) on the end of the description)

3: Aditional effects when you receive a sanity damage. When the player get jumpscared the screen gets pulsating. But before there was also some other effects: An image trail effect, screen would get wavy and an heartbeat after the pulsating effect.

I would like to bring one of those mechanics back, but i tried everything and it still does not work. If someone manages to bring back at least one of those mechanics, i will give this person a shiny penny! Just kidding. But anyways, i hope i get answers. Big GrinBig Grin

4: This mod will come with an modified custom story. It is an known custom story about escaping. The creator's name begins with H and ends with I, but it is an very small name. The custom story will work ONLY with the UNKNOWN Descent mod.

So that is it! Stay tuned! Big GrinBig Grin
03-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(03-05-2017, 09:51 PM)DanielMandus123 Wrote: 1. This mod is NOT an total conversion or an custom story. Imagine an custom lantern mod. So, this project is like that so it will overwrite you ENTIRE game, so make a backup of your game BEFORE installing this modification.

Please don't do this. Editing the vanilla game itself is never a good idea. Make it into a Total Conversion Mod. Your mod will use configurations you define and doesn't interfere with the base installation. If you screw something up which renders the vanilla game unplayable, then the user needs to reinstall the whole game. Having a user backup their entire game directory is a slow, unnecessary process, especially for lower end PCs and harddrives with limited capacity.

Quote:3. Its an little help. You probabily watched the Alpha Footage from the Super Secret file, right? So, in this footage there are three specific mechanics/effects:

2: A completion percentage. Before, a percentage showing the status of the level appeared when you completed some quests and when you picked up items. But that was removed from the final game. The level doors have the option to show the percentage, but the option is disabled. (It has a (NOT IN USE) on the end of the description)

From what you have explained, you have to append each individual percentage amount to the entries in the lang and create new script variables which reference this. Believe me, it's not worth the trouble. Your lang file ends up with unneeded entries per Level Door.

PHP Code: (Select All)
<CATEGORY Name="LevelDoors">
     <
Entry Name="archives_old_0">Old Archives (0%)</Entry>
     <
Entry Name="archives_old_1">Old Archives (1%)</Entry>

// ...

<Entry Name="archives_old_100">Old Archives (100%)</Entry>
</
CATEGORY

Quote:4: This mod will come with an modified custom story. It is an known custom story about escaping. The creator's name begins with H and ends with I, but it is an very small name. The custom story will work ONLY with the UNKNOWN Descent mod.

I hope you have permission for that. Again, just make a Total Conversion, and add a custom_stories directory which uses your configuration files. Everything you've spoken about so far can be accomplished in a Total Conversion if the engine does allow it.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
03-06-2017, 12:57 AM
Find
zionifl Offline

(03-06-2017, 12:57 AM)Romulator Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 09:51 PM)DanielMandus123 Wrote: 1. This mod is NOT an total conversion or an custom story. Imagine an custom lantern mod. So, this project is like that so it will overwrite you ENTIRE game, so make a backup of your game BEFORE installing this modification.

Please don't do this. Editing the vanilla game itself is never a good idea. Make it into a Total Conversion Mod. Your mod will use configurations you define and doesn't interfere with the base installation. If you screw something up which renders the vanilla game unplayable, then the user needs to reinstall the whole game. Having a user backup their entire game directory is a slow, unnecessary process, especially for lower end PCs and harddrives with limited capacity.

Quote:3. Its an little help. You probabily watched the Alpha Footage from the Super Secret file, right? So, in this footage there are three specific mechanics/effects:

From what you have explained, you have to append each individual percentage amount to the entries in the lang and create new script variables which reference this. Believe me, it's not worth the trouble. Your lang file ends up with unneeded entries per Level Door.

PHP Code: (Select All)
<CATEGORY Name="LevelDoors">
     <
Entry Name="archives_old_0">Old Archives (0%)</Entry>
     <
Entry Name="archives_old_1">Old Archives (1%)</Entry>

// ...

<Entry Name="archives_old_100">Old Archives (100%)</Entry>
</
CATEGORY

Quote:4: This mod will come with an modified custom story. It is an known custom story about escaping. The creator's name begins with H and ends with I, but it is an very small name. The custom story will work ONLY with the UNKNOWN Descent mod.

I hope you have permission for that. Again, just make a Total Conversion, and add a custom_stories directory which uses your configuration files. Everything you've spoken about so far can be accomplished in a Total Conversion if the engine does allow it.

Thanks for the help. Now i will try to make an total conversion to prevent damages.
03-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Find