Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modeling for Unbirth (upcoming amnesia mod)
bgproductions Offline

Threads: 2
Modeling for Unbirth (upcoming amnesia mod)

So I am currently developing a amnesia mod that is a remake of unbirth. I have imported all the textures and fonts from unbirth and the development is coming along well, except for one problem. The files for the 3d models in unbirth are .apr files which are only compatible with the engine used to create unbirth (hpl was not created at this time). So I would need to 3d model all the models for the game manually, however I do not have any knowledge in 3d modeling, so is there anybody out there who would like to do 3d modeling for my upcoming mod. I can provide textures all you need to do is 3d model.

Thanks for your time! Smile
06-10-2017, 06:44 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Modeling for Unbirth (upcoming amnesia mod)

3D modeling is by far the most time consuming thing mentioned in this thread. People aren't going to do it for free. It takes a lot of work and it would be a waste for someone capable of doing it for just a stranger online asking.

I think you're better off converting these models if possible. If there's a modeling program that can open .apr, then you can export it as .dae which is what Amnesia uses.

Of course, make sure you're actually allowed to use the assets from Unbirth. If not, you may not be permitted to upload it here or ModDB.

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM by Mudbill.)
06-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Find
bgproductions Offline

(06-12-2017, 06:48 PM)Mudbill Wrote: 3D modeling is by far the most time consuming thing mentioned in this thread. People aren't going to do it for free. It takes a lot of work and it would be a waste for someone capable of doing it for just a stranger online asking.

I think you're better off converting these models if possible. If there's a modeling program that can open .apr, then you can export it as .dae which is what Amnesia uses.

Of course, make sure you're actually allowed to use the assets from Unbirth. If not, you may not be permitted to upload it here or ModDB.

Well I don't mean for free I just would like to find someone who knows how to 3d model for amnesia then I could come to some agreement over money and so on. However I have not seen any model editors that can read .apr files I think these can only be used in the engine used to create unbirth and yes it is allowed to use unbirth models since it was made by frictional games and i'm not making money of it or creating a stand alone game just an amnesia mod.
06-13-2017, 04:29 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I did not think about FG's Unbirth when I mentioned that. You should be good.

If you're serious about it, you could always ask on a more active forum dedicated to 3D modeling, or find someone to commission. It depends on the complexity of the models you need. Do you have any screenshots of how they are supposed to look as examples?

Is it possible that the .apr files are just clean text that you can open with Notepad++?

06-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Find
bgproductions Offline

(06-13-2017, 07:51 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I did not think about FG's Unbirth when I mentioned that. You should be good.

If you're serious about it, you could always ask on a more active forum dedicated to 3D modeling, or find someone to commission. It depends on the complexity of the models you need. Do you have any screenshots of how they are supposed to look as examples?

Is it possible that the .apr files are just clean text that you can open with Notepad++?

Well I have been working on a model myself I just dont know how to rig and texture the model I'm using maya and zbrush maybe somebody would be interested in trying to rig it for me for some amount of money.

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot (63).png (Size: 446.79 KB / Downloads: 160)
.jpg   hybrid02.jpg (Size: 83.65 KB / Downloads: 155)
06-14-2017, 01:43 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Be aware that for a model to work in HPL, you will need to apply a single material to the mesh and make it use a texture file. There are many other material options in Maya/ZBrush but I don't think the game allows any of them. Also make sure the polycount isn't too crazy. It's okay to be a bit more generous with characters though.

Perhaps someone here is willing to help you. I'm personally not too skilled with rigging and UV mapping.

06-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Find
bgproductions Offline

(06-14-2017, 12:39 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Be aware that for a model to work in HPL, you will need to apply a single material to the mesh and make it use a texture file. There are many other material options in Maya/ZBrush but I don't think the game allows any of them. Also make sure the polycount isn't too crazy. It's okay to be a bit more generous with characters though.

Perhaps someone here is willing to help you. I'm personally not too skilled with rigging and UV mapping.

By the way do you know how to combine two uv maps, I have another model with a texture for the head and a texture for the body but when I import it to amnesia it just imports the model with the body texture

Attached Files
.jpg   BlindMonsterBodyD.jpg (Size: 143.93 KB / Downloads: 166)
.jpg   BlindMonsterHeadD.jpg (Size: 130.43 KB / Downloads: 161)
06-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Find