Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game issue: Frozen desktop image, only audio!
Sugarbuzz Offline

Threads: 1
Not Solved Game issue: Frozen desktop image, only audio!

Evening All! I'm currently having an issue trying to run SOMA - I've gone through the troubleshooting guide (drivers, beta version, admin. rights etc. etc.). Whenever I start the game it attempts to go into fullscreen and then just shows a frozen image of the dektop with the audio playing. I can't alt>enter or anything.

I'm attempting to run it in Windows 10 on a 1080ti.

I have attached a copy of the hpl log in case anyone can spot something in there. Amy help on this would be great Smile

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 3.37 KB / Downloads: 140)
07-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Not Solved RE: Game issue: Frozen desktop image, only audio!

According to this log, it seems like the window does get created, but perhaps your Desktop window isn't focusing on it. Or maybe there is something wrong with the resolution.

Right click on SOMA in your Steam Library and run the Settings Launcher (or run Launcher.exe from SOMA's local installation folder), and from there, switch it to Windowed Mode. Let the game boot up, and then try changing settings from SOMA's main menu.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
07-19-2017, 03:10 AM
Find
Sugarbuzz Offline

(07-19-2017, 03:10 AM)Romulator Wrote: According to this log, it seems like the window does get created, but perhaps your Desktop window isn't focusing on it. Or maybe there is something wrong with the resolution.

Right click on SOMA in your Steam Library and run the Settings Launcher (or run Launcher.exe from SOMA's local installation folder), and from there, switch it to Windowed Mode. Let the game boot up, and then try changing settings from SOMA's main menu.

Thanks for that - hmm, I've tried using -sw & -windowed via the Settings Launcher in Steam and it still ran full screen. What is also odd is that there is no Launcher.exe in the SOMA local installation folder (I've launched the verifier which claims that everything is fine).
07-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

You're right - It doesn't look like SOMA has one. Looks like you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Go to Documents\My games\Soma\Main and open the file that looks like <your_steam_name>_<some_id>_user_settings.cfg using something like Notepad. Find the entry
FullScreen="true"
and set it to false. Save and try starting now.

07-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Find
Sugarbuzz Offline

(07-19-2017, 10:04 AM)Mudbill Wrote: You're right - It doesn't look like SOMA has one. Looks like you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Go to Documents\My games\Soma\Main and open the file that looks like <your_steam_name>_<some_id>_user_settings.cfg using something like Notepad. Find the entry
FullScreen="true"
and set it to false. Save and try starting now.

Cheers, now that's odd - there's no config file either!

Right, I've managed to get it to creat a config file however there is no fullscreen option in there:

<Game />
<Debug ShowFPS="false" ShowSoundPlaying="false" ShowPlayerInfo="false" ShowEntityInfo="false" SaveCheckPointOnMapLoad="false" ShowDebugMessages="false" UseProgLog="false" />
<Input InvertMouse="false" SmoothMouse="true" />
<Map File="" Folder="" StartPos="" />
<Graphics TextureQuality="0" TextureFilter="2" TextureAnisotropy="4.000000" SSAOActive="true" SSAOQuality="0" DepthOfFieldQuality="2" BloomActive="true" WorldReflection="true" Refraction="true" ShadowsActive="true" ShadowQuality="2" ShadowResolution="2" ParallaxQuality="0" ParallaxEnabled="true" />
<Sound Device="-1" Volume="1.000000" MaxSoftwareChannels="64" MaxVirtualChannels="1000" ForceShowSubtitleCharacterName="false" ShowSubtitles="false" SpeakerType="HomeCinema" />
<Screen Width="1707" Height="960" />
<Main FirstGameStart="false" />
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM by Sugarbuzz.)
07-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Find
Sugarbuzz Offline

Right, I have updated the config so that it runs in windowed mode unfortunately now it just crashes on startup. Log attached.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 2.21 KB / Downloads: 145)
07-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

The game crashes because it couldn't find a video driver. Try updating / reinstalling your graphics drivers.

07-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Find
Sugarbuzz Offline

Thanks for the reply Mudbill - unfortunately I have already tried updating the drivers as well as uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that was the issue.
07-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Find
Sugarbuzz Offline

Hang on a minute - I think I may have been an idiot. Just realised I'm on the insider builds for windows 10. Looks like 16241 has borked a lot of games.
07-19-2017, 09:45 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Well either way the log claims that the only "driver" available is the Microsoft Generic GDI.

Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
  Renderer: GDI Generic
  Version: 1.1.0
  GLSL Version: (null)

I'm not sure what would cause this in this particular case though.

Edit: Ok, you're on a trail then.

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2017, 09:46 PM by Mudbill.)
07-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Find