Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Just finished Penumbra series and...
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26
Just finished Penumbra series and...

There's no way : Amnesia is better ^^

I really enjoyed Black Plague, the best of the 3 penumbras, far away the two others ^^

But in Amnesia, there's something more, something magic, something very particular that makes the game so immersive and unbelivable in it's atmosphere...

I don't know what it is !

But there is something really incredible about Frictional Games in general.

You know, buying a indie game is not exactly the same thing that buying a 'normal' game.

When you buy an indie game you are thinking that way : "okay I just bought an indie game, let's be sensible ! it's more about original concepts !"

But with Frictional Games, I never thought that way.

I always realised that they were indie games, but everytime played them like they were big games...
And without being decieved.

I think thats why you are incredible, you are really kicking videogame industry's ass !

Big GrinBig Grin

best regards Wink
11-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Just finished Penumbra series and...

Agree Frictional are great, i donno whether Amnesia beats Penumbra.
11-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Website Find
monkuar Offline

Threads: 1

Wait so, which one should I start playing?? maybe the pbenumara one's are less scary then amnesia ? cause i cant even get passed the first part in amensia?
or should i just keep playing amnesia?
11-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

Penumbra is WAY scarier than amnesia! Tongue
First enemy encounter in Penumbra, most people just give the game up completely...if they get that far. plus theres TONS of enemies in Penumbra!
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2010, 02:18 AM by Spooder Wekd.)
11-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Website Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

Finish playing Amnesia if you started. Don't switch em up in the middle, that's a big no no, especially for immersion.
11-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Find
Deu sex Offline

(11-12-2010, 02:17 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: Penumbra is WAY scarier than amnesia!

I disagree ! Monsters are less scarier in penumbra. They are more intelligent, they speak in an understandable language.

In amnesia, the fact that monsters are really stupid and can't speak in an understandable language make them really like 'animals' or 'life forms from the uknown'.

And in penumbra, you can take realy more damage from monsters instead of amnesia where it's a 1 or 2 shot gameplay.

But I recommand everyone to play amnesia before penumbra black plague, because black plague is really more difficult than amnesia.
But I think all of this is a question of personal preferences ^^
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2010, 12:33 PM by Deu sex.)
11-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Penumbra is scarier in the long run. No matter how many times you play it it has an effect on you because it's barely scripted. Amnesia is scarier the first time but the second time through you know where the monsters are coming from and what they responded to. They normally appear, patrol once, and then disappear, comparative to Penumbra's first Tuurngait, which goes to check why the power's out and stays there for quite a while, meaning that you either have to stay put or sneak past

I find the story of Amnesia to be far more disturbing though. Penumbra was all like, “oh no scientific discovery leads to zombie apocalypse.” Amnesia is actually based off of real examples, with a fuckton of mature content.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Website Find
Deu sex Offline

yea... monsters disapear really too quickly in amnesia, its really the dark point of the game.
11-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Find
Thanatos Offline

Threads: 0

I've been trying to decide which I like best for a while and have decided that it has to be Penumbra u.u

It wasn't as scary and the graphics aren't as pretty (really the Satan dogs are kind of amusing looking once you get used to them) but I preferred Philip as a main character and the decisions he made. Basically if you take Phil and Dan out of the equation I like them both equally, but if you add them back in Penumbra takes it.

I couldn't really feel for Daniel and though he got scared and made bad decisions, Philip seems more real. I can understand why Phil does what he does, whilst Dan just gets on my nerves. I also felt that the fact that Daniel spoke all the time broke the immersion just a tad, I would have liked to pick up notes and things and read them myself. Whilst I'm rambling I shall add that I personally liked the heavy, hard to open doors in penumbra.

I would like a mix between the two n.n stick Philip in Daniel's world.
11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Find
Monkeyballs25 Offline

Threads: 0

I actually found the Amnesia monsters scarier because they didn't hang around for too long, but were much deadlier when they are present.

Spoiler below!
Once I figured out that you could outrun the Penumbra zombies indefinitely, they became a bit of a joke really. Amnesia's are so much worse because once they spot you, you're normally dead unless you're very close to a level exit door.
11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Find