Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Frontcannon's Maps -- The Magic Rooms - Part 1 & 2 available!
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Frontcannon's Maps -- available soon!

The map is done, I'm now tweaking it and adding two last scripts.. So definitely this week, but no precise ETA because I have 3 exams this week which takes up a lot of my tme :/
It'd still be a Beta then because I can't predict if my plans will actually work with a player that doesn't know the map Big Grin

The length is quite short as there are no real puzzles (still have to learn how to make those Blush), maybe 10 minutes. I used it as an experiment to learn how to use music, what works / doesn't work and such things. But it will be scary!

The last map I have yet to start working on will be the REAL thing, I promise Wink

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2010, 05:30 PM by Frontcannon.)
12-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

RE: Frontcannon's Maps -- The Magic Rooms - Part 1 & 2 available!

It's done! (Part 1 & 2, at least)

Main post is updated, a link is available there. Gosh, I really hope I haven't overlooked something stupid Sad

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
12-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Find
tielinho Offline

Threads: 0

Very Scary but its small map
12-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

That's right, but it's only half of the final custom story.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
12-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

I just got done playing and found it to be very entertaining. I'll try not to go overboard, but here are some things I found:
  1. The scaled table in the beginning made me think I was miniature. I also found a mini shelf that made the player say "What the hell..." which I found a bit akward. Try to keep items their original size unless your using them as scenery where the eye can't pick them up directly and acts as a type of decoration
  2. In the room with the decapitated body, light can be seen shining through the west wall
  3. That giant hole in the floor was a great idea, but making it pulse red was uneeded. There was no source of light and the light did not shine all the way down which made me think something was coming up.

Now for the pros:
  1. I loved the detail you put into the rooms. Aside from the texture glitches you see every now and again (which is understandable since your still making the map), I found myself staring at the glyphs you put on the walls and floor. Awesome job!
  2. The area containing the stairs leading downward was my favorite area. The blood dripping from the ceiling and and the footsteps in conjunction was grade A work!
  3. The monster scare is on par with Frictional scares in that it happened when I least expected it. I was expecting a script to be triggered when I picked up the library key, but I was surprised when I walked right out the door with nothing out of the ordinary. It wasn't until I reached the door leading back to the stairs that I heard the growling coming from behind me.

Now for some glitches:
  1. In the beginning while the victim was waking up, I could move freely while the camera was still horizontal which made me chuckle. You might want to add a timer to that.
  2. In the room containing the library key, my sanity instantly dropped from "crystal clear" to "..." in a heartbeat. Not only that, everytime my character got up he would immediately be on the floor again! I tried staying in the the light of a candle, but he continuously kept dropping down. I had to actually restart the entire story; I was able to grab the key this time without dropping. You may want to check that out.
  3. I noticed there was a dead body at the bottom of that giant hole where the monster first appears. On an earlier playthrough, the body actually rocketed out of the hole and hit the celing before dropping right back in. This caused me to think that a giant worm or something similar was down there, so I took cover.

This map should seriously be continued, I found it to be fun and enjoyable. Great work!
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 03:57 AM by Tenacious.)
12-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

(12-16-2010, 03:55 AM)Tenacious Wrote: The scaled table in the beginning made me think I was miniature. I also found a mini shelf that made the player say "What the hell..." which I found a bit akward. Try to keep items their original size unless your using them as scenery where the eye can't pick them up directly and acts as a type of decoration

That was supposed to be some sort of side effect of the serum, but the message when picking up the little shelf was unneeded, you're right.

(12-16-2010, 03:55 AM)Tenacious Wrote: In the room with the decapitated body, light can be seen shining through the west wall

Noticed that too, will fix. Maybe a dark point light could counter the red shine. I noticed that light shines through walls (or static objects) but not through planes.

(12-16-2010, 03:55 AM)Tenacious Wrote: That giant hole in the floor was a great idea, but making it pulse red was unneeded. There was no source of light and the light did not shine all the way down which made me think something was coming up.

Again, a hallucination effect. I'm not really good at those Big Grin

(12-16-2010, 03:55 AM)Tenacious Wrote: Now for the pros:

Thanks! The key actually triggers a nice timer function that increases the rate of the scratching sounds from the hole (+ activating the monster area of course). And the staircase area took ages to build, because the wall and the stairs have different dimensions and having that aligned right and the thousands of welders I had to use.. well, it was the most complex thing I built yet.

(12-16-2010, 03:55 AM)Tenacious Wrote: Now for some glitches:
In the beginning while the victim was waking up, I could move freely while the camera was still horizontal which made me chuckle. You might want to add a timer to that.

Yup, feels strange, will fix. Also the standing up and the head tilt are timed wrong.

(12-16-2010, 03:55 AM)Tenacious Wrote: In the room containing the library key, my sanity instantly dropped from "crystal clear" to "..." in a heartbeat. Not only that, everytime my character got up he would immediately be on the floor again! I tried staying in the the light of a candle, but he continuously kept dropping down. I had to actually restart the entire story; I was able to grab the key this time without dropping. You may want to check that out.

That's weird. I had that occasionally happen to me sometimes, and I think the skull event only gives you 10 or 15 damage or so.. will look into that.

(12-16-2010, 03:55 AM)Tenacious Wrote: I noticed there was a dead body at the bottom of that giant hole where the monster first appears. On an earlier playthrough, the body actually rocketed out of the hole and hit the celing before dropping right back in. This caused me to think that a giant worm or something similar was down there, so I took cover.

Now the 'body rocket' was supposed to happen, did it not on your later playthrough? It was actually supposed to float slowly out of the hole but that looked way too strange because the bodies don't react to the floating at all and they looked like stiff puppets..

Thank you for the generous feedback Smile
I'll start working on the final map soon, I'll have lots of time in the holidays!

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38

When all the maps are available (FULL STORY), I RECORD THEM AT ONETIME AND UPLOAD THEM Big Grin Smile Tongue
12-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Website Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

(12-16-2010, 03:17 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: Now the 'body rocket' was supposed to happen, did it not on your later playthrough? It was actually supposed to float slowly out of the hole but that looked way too strange because the bodies don't react to the floating at all and they looked like stiff puppets..

The 'body rocket' only worked on one playthrough. When I went through the room during the second try, nothing happened.
12-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

I can't find anything in the script that would cause this, to be honest. The engines does some random things sometimes, for example the scratching sound from the pit triggers randomly sometimes but doesn't when it should be triggered Huh

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

Time kinda passed far. How are you progressing with your story, Frontcannon?

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
12-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Website Find