Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam+Linux - Would I need to buy one or two copies?
pxc Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago Steam+Linux - Would I need to buy one or two copies?

As this is my first post, I'll introduce myself:

Hi, I'm Patrick!

--

Anyhow, today I heard about Amnesia from a friend, who saw it on sale via Steam. Since it's gotten rave reviews and the price is favorable, I really want to buy it. However, I need to know something about the licensing system.

If I buy a copy of the game on Steam, will I also be able to use the Linux version? Steam has a feature for some third-party games (Crysis is the example that I own) that allows you to see what "CD Key" your game has, independent from Steam. From the library, you can right click on the game and select "View Game CD Key". If I were to buy the game via Steam, could I use this feature to enable the Linux client as well? Alternatively, if I purchase the game from your store, will I receive a CD key that I can use for the Linux client and also register with Steam for the Windows version?

(As an aside, has anyone tried your Linux client on BSD?)
12-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Steam+Linux - Would I need to buy one or two copies?

If you purchase directly from Frictional, you get all three versions (PC Mac and Linux). If you purchase from steam, I'm quite sure you only get the PC and Mac versions.
12-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Find
pxc Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Steam+Linux - Would I need to buy one or two copies?

(12-13-2010, 01:07 AM)xiphirx Wrote: If you purchase directly from Frictional, you get all three versions (PC Mac and Linux). If you purchase from steam, I'm quite sure you only get the PC and Mac versions.

Excellent. Now the only question that remains is if I can register the copy from Frictional with Steam (for convenience). Whenever I buy a boxed game (or with some online purchases), I look to see if I can associate the game with my Steam account, since it manages most of my games anyway. I guess I'll give it a go, and post my results here.

Thanks, mate. :-)
12-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

No problem. I'm quite sure you can get a steam activation code from Frictional if you purchase from them directly, not entirely sure though.
12-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Find
pxc Offline

Hmm...

With the purchase completed, I have an order number (which I use to download from FG) and a serial number. Using the serial number as the input for Steam's "Activate a Game on Steam" function fails, reporting an invalid key.

Meanwhile, I'm downloading the versions of the game that I need, and I can later set up a shortcut within Steam to run these games independently.

Still, since Steam offers the game for sale alongside FG, it would be nice to be able to register my FG copy on Steam for automatic updates, etc.
12-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Yeah, I would contact Frictional about that.
12-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Sorry but it is not possible to activate a game from our store on Steam.
12-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Website Find