Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Amnesia be available for consoles? No!
PvtLastClass Offline

Threads: 1
RE: In Relation to Console Portage

You want to talk about the Xbox's online support, and you need mention only one thing...

"Team Fortress 2"
=(
12-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Find
gorkypah Offline

(09-18-2010, 02:50 AM)Harry Wrote: There's many a thread asking about porting to consoles (Be it Wii, Xbox360, PS3 or even iPhone).

The control systems all offer the same problems, in as much as how do we retain the core gameplay we love and enjoy from Penumbra and Amnesia in a console environment?

Instead of looking at controllers, why not look at controlling the games WITHOUT controls. I'd hazard to say that Microsofts Kinect seems like a perfect fit for this type of interaction and would certainly make for some pretty amazing gameplay (Think actually running away from monsters, slamming doors and dragging boxes to stop them crashing in).

The Kinect market will also be relatively sparse, which would also really help an indie company and title get face-time and support, unlike such crowded markets like the PS3.

Wether the Kinect actually takes off is another matter but hands-free controls are only a matter of time, so at least the ball has started rolling in that respect.

What are your thoughts folks, think that a hands-free style experience is preferable to traditional console controllers?

I purchased Amnesia through Steam over the weekend because it is half off. I use a program called Xpadder that emulates a keyboard/mouse on your gamepad. I made an Xpadder profile for Amnesia on my Xbox 360 PC controller and the gameplay is actually very smooth. I find myself rotating the right analog stick whenever I encounter a wheel or crank. I use my left analog stick to move. I think Amnesia: TDD would be a huge hit if Frictional ported it to consoles. I could easily see me playing this on Xbox Live Arcade. It would gain an even bigger audience than on the PC. I don't see how this could hurt Frictional, only help them with sales.
12-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

Mind upping it for the people that want to play Amnesia with a controller but have no idea how?
Or for the devs as a source of inspiration or testing Smile

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Find
gorkypah Offline

(12-11-2010, 05:01 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: Mind upping it for the people that want to play Amnesia with a controller but have no idea how?
Or for the devs as a source of inspiration or testing Smile

Xpadder is a commercial program, so I can't upload it. It costs $9.99 and you get updates for life. The thing I like about it is it supports all gamepads for the PC (Xbox 360, PS3, Logitech, etc.), and you can assign anything to it. You can even assign mouse movements to the analog sticks on the Xbox 360.

http://www.xpadder.com
12-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

I know that.
I meant the config, can't you save these as a .xml or something?

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
12-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Find
gorkypah Offline

(12-11-2010, 09:44 PM)Frontcannon Wrote: I know that.
I meant the config, can't you save these as a .xml or something?

Its just a plain text file with the .xpadderprofile extension. You can open it using Xpadder. This profile is for use with an Xbox 360 controller only. Also, here is a picture of my profile in action.

[Image: amnesia360.jpg]

Press X to toggle run (you don't need to hold it down). Adjust the mouse sensitivity in game to your needs for the right analog stick. Also for objects like wheels or cranks use a circular motion with the right analog stick while interacting with it works best.

Attached Files
.zip   Amnesia The Dark Descent (X360).zip (Size: 681 bytes / Downloads: 522)
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2010, 10:15 PM by gorkypah.)
12-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Nice Smile

This should be put up the Wiki!

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
12-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Find
Unreal Offline

Threads: 9

The Kinect is crap. Particularly for Amnesia. How would you move, crouch, run, look around, AND interact with objects? You couldn't. The PS3 Move or Nintendo Wii would be much more viable. But as the developers have previously said, they have NO intention of porting Amnesia anywhere. On PC it was born and on PC it will stay.
12-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Find
gorkypah Offline

(12-12-2010, 01:35 AM)Unreal Wrote: The Kinect is crap. Particularly for Amnesia. How would you move, crouch, run, look around, AND interact with objects? You couldn't. The PS3 Move or Nintendo Wii would be much more viable. But as the developers have previously said, they have NO intention of porting Amnesia anywhere. On PC it was born and on PC it will stay.

Their loss then. I think Amnesia would run great on Xbox Live Arcade, and they would reach an even bigger audience. It's a shame, really.
12-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

(12-12-2010, 03:22 AM)gorkypah Wrote:
(12-12-2010, 01:35 AM)Unreal Wrote: The Kinect is crap. Particularly for Amnesia. How would you move, crouch, run, look around, AND interact with objects? You couldn't. The PS3 Move or Nintendo Wii would be much more viable. But as the developers have previously said, they have NO intention of porting Amnesia anywhere. On PC it was born and on PC it will stay.

Their loss then. I think Amnesia would run great on Xbox Live Arcade, and they would reach an even bigger audience. It's a shame, really.

I don't think it's that big of a loss. I think it's safe to say that the PC is far more superior than the Xbox and PS3 simply because of the hardware and control. The Xpadder suggestion looks pretty cool, why not give that a try?
12-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Find