Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Amnesia be available for consoles? No!
Harry Offline

Threads: 1
In Relation to Console Portage

There's many a thread asking about porting to consoles (Be it Wii, Xbox360, PS3 or even iPhone).

The control systems all offer the same problems, in as much as how do we retain the core gameplay we love and enjoy from Penumbra and Amnesia in a console environment?

Instead of looking at controllers, why not look at controlling the games WITHOUT controls. I'd hazard to say that Microsofts Kinect seems like a perfect fit for this type of interaction and would certainly make for some pretty amazing gameplay (Think actually running away from monsters, slamming doors and dragging boxes to stop them crashing in).

The Kinect market will also be relatively sparse, which would also really help an indie company and title get face-time and support, unlike such crowded markets like the PS3.

Wether the Kinect actually takes off is another matter but hands-free controls are only a matter of time, so at least the ball has started rolling in that respect.

What are your thoughts folks, think that a hands-free style experience is preferable to traditional console controllers?
09-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Find
Champ721 Offline

Threads: 1
Frictional really needs to release this on Xbox Live Arcade

I just really want to see Frictional Games succeed and I don't see why they couldn't put this out on XBLA. They'd get a LOT more sales and exposure as so many people don't even know this game exists.

I also need an excuse to give them more of my money, dammit. I'd willingly buy the game a second time on my Xbox just because i want to support them. Heart
10-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Find
sparqz Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Frictional really needs to release this on Xbox Live Arcade

well I agree it would be lucrative for Frictional to be on XBLA its unlikely, I'm sure there are issues with them being such a small company, not to mention i belive they would have to give some profits to Microsoft for it. But also porting a game to Xbox can be expensive and if you've been following Frictional's Blog they really aren't flooded with money.
10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I am pretty sure XBLA requires that games for it have X-Box exclusive content, as well as being quite hostile to user-created content like the custom stories, basically requiring new content like that to be DLC with a price tag.

Plus how controller-friendly is that sharp turns and fiddly physics?
10-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Find
Bythemark Offline

Threads: 2

(10-09-2010, 12:34 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I am pretty sure XBLA requires that games for it have X-Box exclusive content, as well as being quite hostile to user-created content like the custom stories, basically requiring new content like that to be DLC with a price tag.

Plus how controller-friendly is that sharp turns and fiddly physics?
Controllers actually translate mouse movements better than they're given credit for. In fact, with today's analog sticks and the push-in ability, even rotating would be easier on console than with mouse. Amnesia isn't a twitch game like Quake, so the difference in accuracy won't be too bad (provided some help with rotating wheels and whatnot was included).
10-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Perhaps a sort of auto-lock-on function that is provided by holding down a button. You can press it and it focuses on whatever item you have selected in a certain range. But no, the control stick is not good for first person games.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Website Find
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26

(10-09-2010, 06:13 AM)Lee Wrote: Perhaps a sort of auto-lock-on function that is provided by holding down a button. You can press it and it focuses on whatever item you have selected in a certain range. But no, the control stick is not good for first person games.

It doesn't matter, bring this out on the xboxlive arcade.
and on wii too.

it IS NOT difficult, technically i mean.
10-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

Is that based on your experience with HPL2 or...? I'm fine with ports after, as long as PC stays the main focus I guess.
10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Find
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26

(10-09-2010, 11:35 AM)Bek Wrote: Is that based on your experience with HPL2 or...? I'm fine with ports after, as long as PC stays the main focus I guess.

agreed, and its not about my knowledges on the hpl2 engine, im just a beginner on 3D programming, but its about my knowledges in general, the game is technically light, so it is absolutely not a problem to port it on xbox 360 (xboxlive) because the engine of the 360 is near of a pc engine (due to microsoft, same factory)
and on wii, they'll just have to lower graphics a little bit.

for the else, its just about engine optimisation, little code changes, and joystic adaptations.

and marketing Confused ... XD
10-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Find
Mjarr Offline

Threads: 0

There is one problem with the movement: how do you make ACCURATE and PRECISE turns when you're running away? Making the analog stick oversensitive is not a good idea while keeping it as it usually is on console the time it takes to turn around takes too long and you'll be new kebabdish in a nanosecond, and adding 90\180 degree instaturn buttons would make the whole control scheme a huge mess or feel like you're controlling sockpuppet, or a remote control robot.

Imagine this:
Spoiler below!
The chase scene involving the water monster early in the game. How silly it would feel that run forward, use 90 degree turn button, run forward, use 90 degree turn button, fun forward, use 180 degree turn button, turn yourself to the right 30 degrees slowly as hell due pad acceleration (and making it faster just makes it very oversensitive), grab the door, slam it shut, press 180 degree turn, run forward and repeat. It's just really robotic.

Another example would be the sewers when you see the brute smashing through those pipes and chasing you. Almost every sequence that potentially requires fast turns and precision with them would be just problematic without major redesign to be 'console safe', and most often that would defeat the purpose and to be mean about it, a huge cockslap in the face regarding certain immersive parts

And don't forget the console FoV issue.
10-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Find