Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Amnesia be available for consoles? No!
martinstatic Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Frictional really needs to release this on Xbox Live Arcade

Movement is no problem imo...look at Call Of Duty, almost every Youtube video of that game is on 360. Analog stick movements are fine, there's no problem really, almost everyone is used to them by now.
As for turning around quick, it'd just use acceleration like most FPS'. You know, you move the analog stick in a certain direction for a second and it speeds up.

As for your example on using a 90 degree button...why have a 90 degree button?!?! Anyone, a small child can turn 90 degrees on an xbox with ease.
This being said, the PC version would still offer the most accurate and immersive experience..

10-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Find
khawaja07 Offline

Threads: 9

please leave it alone as it is.. otherwise it'll get ruined..
10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Find
Mjarr Offline

(10-09-2010, 02:53 PM)martinstatic Wrote: As for turning around quick, it'd just use acceleration like most FPS'. You know, you move the analog stick in a certain direction for a second and it speeds up.

That is the whole problem. It takes while to actually turn 90 degrees properly and once you've done that 90% of time in sequences where you are in a hurry you are already dead, especially if we take a hypothetical scenario in the prison as there is not that much room to move. Let's presume someone saw you and you're being chased, have fun making sharp turns in tight enviroment with a gamepad where it takes around 1\3 to ½ a second before it speeds up so you can actually 'turn' properly as in case if someone forgot, enemies in Amnesia runs faster than you do and they are more than willing to run most of the time if you're running away and they just got attracted to your lovely smell of fresh meat. Sure death in Amnesia is not that big deal, but that would just be silly to force player to die all the time in order to finish the game.
10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Find
martinstatic Offline

Fine, allow a USB mouse on the 360

10-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

yeah good idea ...

bring it too ps move , xbox360-kinetic , and the wii ...

that way everyone is happy Smile

?
10-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Website Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

(10-09-2010, 08:17 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: yeah good idea ...

bring it too ps move , xbox360-kinetic , and the wii ...

that way everyone is happy Smile

Excuse me.

I would like an Amnesia DS port, if you don't mind.

Thank you.
10-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

I want a Java Mobile port to play it on my cell phone. I'd like to have a PSP port too, but I sold it. So, I don't care if any PSP port would be done.

10-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Website Find
Adventurer4Life Offline

Threads: 11

I think the UI system friction uses would totality own with kenetic.. imaging literally reaching in though your HD tv screen with surround sound and the lights out ... reaching through the screen... no controllers and "touching" objects, turning by turning your head.. ....... awesome. (up to the devs to work out how to walk and run)

Happy Adventuring
-- A4L
My Review Chan - http://www.youtube.com/adventurereviews
10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Find
martinstatic Offline

(10-10-2010, 10:37 AM)Adventurer4Life Wrote: turning by turning your head.. ....... awesome. (up to the devs to work out how to walk and run)

Turning by turning your head would be awkward as you'd be turning away from the TV...best thing is to just set up an extra 2 monitors on your PC, then you can enjoy conventional head turning Tongue

As for walking, Microsoft should have pedals that you step on. Or just scrap Kinect entirely.

10-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Find
Firia Offline

Threads: 5

(10-09-2010, 12:08 PM)Mjarr Wrote: There is one problem with the movement: how do you make ACCURATE and PRECISE turns when you're running away? Making the analog stick oversensitive is not a good idea while keeping it as it usually is on console the time it takes to turn around takes too long and you'll be new kebabdish in a nanosecond, and adding 90\180 degree instaturn buttons would make the whole control scheme a huge mess or feel like you're controlling sockpuppet, or a remote control robot.

Imagine this:
Spoiler below!
The chase scene involving the water monster early in the game. How silly it would feel that run forward, use 90 degree turn button, run forward, use 90 degree turn button, fun forward, use 180 degree turn button, turn yourself to the right 30 degrees slowly as hell due pad acceleration (and making it faster just makes it very oversensitive), grab the door, slam it shut, press 180 degree turn, run forward and repeat. It's just really robotic.

Another example would be the sewers when you see the brute smashing through those pipes and chasing you. Almost every sequence that potentially requires fast turns and precision with them would be just problematic without major redesign to be 'console safe', and most often that would defeat the purpose and to be mean about it, a huge cockslap in the face regarding certain immersive parts

And don't forget the console FoV issue.

I think you're really underestimating what analog sticks can do these days. If it was a PS1 style controller where there wasn't any analog sticks, sure. But with the way any modern controllers are set up, it could be every bit as accurate as the PC. The limitations you experience are your own. Smile

Turning speed can be addressed with sensitivity. Increase or decrease to the users delight.

Of all the reasons why a console port may go badly, analog stick accuracy and speed seems pretty menisque. If that's your biggest concern too, then well I say this is a port that needs to happen! Big Grin
10-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Find