Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My First Map: FTD = "Fear The Darkness"
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64
My First Map: FTD = "Fear The Darkness"

Hello there.. This is my first map im gonna publish Smile

This is Two part of map.. Nothing special here just basic scripting happenings and stuff.. I need feedback! Dont be so serious with this one.. I am noob making maps but enjoy anyways! Tongue

http://www.mediafire.com/?uw6t5db7s2f9xh8

PS: Updated version! Fixed some textures etc.

“Life is a game, play it”
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM by HumiliatioN.)
12-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6
RE: My First Map: FTD = "Fear The Darkness"

For your first map you did a pretty good job. There are, however, multiple things you should fix:
  1. Try to put similar lights together. In the room where you first start, you had light sources all around the room which messed up the ambient light pretty bad. Group similar looking lights together and try to keep it to a minimum. There were also 'dark spots' - areas where light couldn't reach and as a result was pitch black.
  2. Learn to keep a theme. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you had a torture room inside what I thought was a bedroom. Torture chambers should be kept in an area that general transitions from the main area to the dungeons. For example, dungeons are usually kept at a lower level such as the basement, not ground level with living quarters.
  3. You seem to place items anywhere you want. Is there a reason why rocks were inside a chest? There were also multiple chests that were empty to begin with, unless you forgot to put something in them.
  4. The 'mansion' had a lot of missing wall textures. I could see both through them and their ending points which is NOT good. The slime you used on the walls seem plastered on like a picture and not actually stuck to the wall. If I were you, I would fix this right away.
  5. You placed way too many tinderboxes and oils throughout the maps - I had about 25 tinderboxes when I finished the story. The point of oils and tinderboxes are to give the player something to work with after being in the dark for a majority of time, not have in abundance.
  6. The notes look like they were written by a child. Not only do they contain poor grammar, one of the notes censored the word "shit". Now I don't know about you, but in a game like this a simple word like that should not be censored.
  7. The keys should be more ominous than just 'door key 1' and so forth. Be creative! Actually, you should add puzzles instead of keys to vary the gameplay.
  8. Where's the music at?! All I heard was my footsteps and the occasional monster music, but aside from that it was pretty quiet.
  9. The map layout is very bland - mostly square rooms with a door. Let your imagination run wild and build huge rooms instead of these little boxes! Use circular wall textures and big glass panes instead of these dinky windows!

I'm can name off a handful more stuff, but these are the major points I found to be critical. Remember, I'm trying to help you not bash you. Blush

Now with all that aside, I'd like to point out the positive feature of your map:

1. The one corridor the monster was patrolling took me completely by surprise. I intially thought it would dissappear after going around one or two times, but when I figured out it kept going in circles I nearly quit the game out of sheer terror. I could hear the screeching of it moving around me and I dared not open the door. It eventually bust the door down and I ran out. You did a fine job with that scene!

You may be thinking "wow this guy really hated this map", but in all honesty I found it enjoyable. It was pretty long and kept me busy, so I consider it to be a success. You did a good job considering this is your first map. I hope to play more of your creations! Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2010, 03:07 AM by Tenacious.)
12-17-2010, 03:06 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Wow Thanks! I appreciate this and yes for the "Notes" I have very poor english language because i am finnish peoples Smile And i appreciate your criticism!! I need that! Yes overall its my first and there are tinderboxes and oil lamps everywhere and this is test map i guess.. Because my first dungeon area was there then it becomes mansion parts and stuff... Annoying but my first and the lightings hard to seperate sometimes.. Because you have lantern.. And yeah slimes with walls not good... But i was suprised when you like that Patrolling scene Tongue Yeah my second map is gonna be much better and larger areas and last my scripting is poor only few nice scripting scary doors, monsters and normally keys and sanity... thats all i got... That puzzle part scripting is hard to me.. But slowly learning.. Tongue

Thanks for feedback!

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2010, 04:25 AM by HumiliatioN.)
12-17-2010, 04:24 AM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6

(12-17-2010, 04:24 AM)HumiliatioN Wrote: Wow Thanks! I appreciate this and yes for the "Notes" I have very poor english language because i am finnish peoples Smile And i appreciate your criticism!! I need that! Yes overall its my first and there are tinderboxes and oil lamps everywhere and this is test map i guess.. Because my first dungeon area was there then it becomes mansion parts and stuff... Annoying but my first and the lightings hard to seperate sometimes.. Because you have lantern.. And yeah slimes with walls not good... But i was suprised when you like that Patrolling scene Tongue Yeah my second map is gonna be much better and larger areas and last my scripting is poor only few nice scripting scary doors, monsters and normally keys and sanity... thats all i got... That puzzle part scripting is hard to me.. But slowly learning.. Tongue

Thanks for feedback!

Oh, I'm sorry if I reprehended your English skills, I didn't know you were Finnish.
12-17-2010, 04:31 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

No problem. Now you know and one more thing that Sound thing.. I dont know how to make each area one sound looping or not.. Its not working that way.. Sad

And many too scripts like lever, trigger zombie example. When you pick item or note.. and make water and use Crowbar with door and other items and combine them.. I just wanna learn these scripts and im fine then. Smile

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2010, 06:00 AM by HumiliatioN.)
12-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Find
waqas12346 Offline

Threads: 38

I'm playing your map Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2010, 06:20 AM by waqas12346.)
12-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Website Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

(12-17-2010, 06:13 AM)waqas12346 Wrote: I'm playing your map Big Grin

Cool make guide video and im glad Smile

Enjoy that map! Tongue

12-17-2010, 06:30 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0N1yY937qg

i spam meme 4 raeg
12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3

Heeey, being Finnish doesn't stop you from learning English (or any other language for that matter). To live is to learn, right? ;D

I'll be trying this story once I get home!

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
12-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

(12-17-2010, 08:59 AM)Oscar House Wrote: Heeey, being Finnish doesn't stop you from learning English (or any other language for that matter). To live is to learn, right? ;D

I'll be trying this story once I get home!

Yeah i guess.. Smile Hmh... you will be disappointed with this map Undecided

12-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Find