Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amnesia tips, tricks, and strategies
m1dy Offline

Threads: 3
Amnesia tips, tricks, and strategies

This thread is for the discussion of various things a player can do in the world of Amnesia to give themselves an advantage. From tinderbox and oil conservation to monster avoidance tricks and beyond, post them all here.

Spoiler below!
Save your tinderboxes for lighting areas you'll be standing in for extended periods of time or visiting more than once. Example: Light a candle closest to the puzzle you're working on.

Spoiler below!
Don't keep your lamp out unless you're looking for something. If you're trying to keep your sanity high while traversing a dark path simply tap the lamp key (default: F) constantly until you find a constant source of light. This conserves tons of oil.

Spoiler below!
Close doors after entering them. It prevents monsters from spotting you while you're working on a puzzle and at the same time if a monster does happen to see you it'll give you plenty of time to hide while he breaks the door down.

Spoiler below!
Bait a monster into hitting you and then back off so he misses. During his recovery animation you should grab a box and hit him with it. This will stun him long enough for you to make enough distance to lose his line of sight and eventually find a good place to hide.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 05:12 AM by m1dy.)
12-20-2010, 05:11 AM
Find
Tenacious Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia tips, tricks, and strategies

Here are some of my tricks:

Spoiler below!
Keep tabs of safe areas and hiding spots. You don't want to find yourself in the open when a monster comes prowling around.

Spoiler below!
If a monster is facing your way, try throwing an object in the opposite direction.

Spoiler below!
If a monster is nearby, face the opposite direction (preferably a wall) and don't move. Your chances of being spotted are much smaller than staring at it.

Spoiler below!
If your stuck, check your mementos and note entries. You might find what your looking for!

Spoiler below!
Use the 'Q' and 'E' keys to check your corners. It's better than stepping out in the open and risk getting spotted.

Spoiler below!
If you find yourself trudging along in dark places (eg. Storage) due to fright, try running into the darkness, you'll find that your tension eases a bit.
12-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I thought all of those are obvious.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Find
m1dy Offline

Threads: 3

Post something useful or don't post at all.
12-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

My only recommendation is that if you hear a strange sound, run without thinking and never look back, never, ever.

12-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Website Find
eabaggot Offline

Threads: 0

Two things I am beginning to do:

1) When entering a new region, go into it on a blind run, explore everything, burn all your fuel, light light up everything, and just learn the layout and where everything is, etc. Then, reload it from the entry point and then take a more deliberate and circumspect approach to getting what you need.

2) When confronting an enemy, just go ahead and let yourself get killed a few times, to take the "edge" off, heh. See how it behaves. Then, as above, reload the level and use the knowledge in whatever way you can.

Ed
12-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I give a huge enthusiastic :\ to deliberately breaking the game design by abusing save/load.

Tip: staying in the light does slowly restore your sanity. If you're on the edge, why not sit down and have a breather huddled under a candle?
12-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Find
eabaggot Offline

Threads: 0

(12-21-2010, 05:16 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I give a huge enthusiastic :\ to deliberately breaking the game design by abusing save/load.

Tip: staying in the light does slowly restore your sanity. If you're on the edge, why not sit down and have a breather huddled under a candle?

You are probably right, but it is SO intense ... I can't play more than about 15 minutes at a stretch, so I suppose I am already violating the spirit of the experience ...
12-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

(12-21-2010, 04:59 AM)eabaggot Wrote: Two things I am beginning to do:

1) When entering a new region, go into it on a blind run, explore everything, burn all your fuel, light light up everything, and just learn the layout and where everything is, etc. Then, reload it from the entry point and then take a more deliberate and circumspect approach to getting what you need.

2) When confronting an enemy, just go ahead and let yourself get killed a few times, to take the "edge" off, heh. See how it behaves. Then, as above, reload the level and use the knowledge in whatever way you can.

Ed

So remove the exploring, cause you just run through to figure out the layout as fast as possible. And remove the scaryness of monsters by suiciding until u dont care....seems horrible! Tongue
(12-21-2010, 05:55 PM)eabaggot Wrote:
(12-21-2010, 05:16 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I give a huge enthusiastic :\ to deliberately breaking the game design by abusing save/load.

You are probably right, but it is SO intense ... I can't play more than about 15 minutes at a stretch, so I suppose I am already violating the spirit of the experience ...

If you can't play the game properly for a long time, try to just play it for a little while at a time, better to play it right, for short spurts, than break the game and remove half the fun. You could try slowly increasing the time you play...
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM by Spooder Wekd.)
12-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Website Find