Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you "flip" static objects?
SpiritSharD Offline

Threads: 3
Can you "flip" static objects?

First of all, let me start off by saying that, besides a quick go on using the Source SDK, I'm new to level editing, so this question may seem silly. Tongue

Anyway, I've searched the net and can't seem to find an answer to this question, so perhaps the community will help me... Smile I've just started my first map and am following a tutorial to some degree, and I've got to the point where I'm placing down walls. I want the texture of the walls to be aligned correctly, so there isn't a line going between each separate object. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. xD

Is there a way to flip static objects so that I can make the walls look "connected"?

Oh, and, is it possible to make a level just by using the level editor, or do you have to use the other editors as well?

Thanks
12-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Can you "flip" static objects?

you can make a level work in game with the level editor alone
you need to code it, like tell amnesia what its name is and whats the first map, but thats it...

as for flipping walls, I think you can scale it by a negative number to flip it, but its not recommended, the walls are meant to have dividers, like pillars joining them

in a while, I'm releasing a some walls that tile perfectly, they'll be out in a week or 2 though so stick around
12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

The static objects named "welder" are supposed to be used to hide visible seams in walls.
12-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43

Yep pillars and welders like someone stated above is what you should use for walls which are sticking out (pointy outside).

Also you can 'flip' static objects easily, just click on the object and then click on the rotate button at the top right hand side and then rotate.

Level editor is all thats needed, model editor is to edit models map view is to see that things arn't messed up in your map eg. doors open properly etc.

But i recommend that y ou have your game on also especially when scripting so that you can constantly check your map is workign and everythign looks fine, because you will always find that theres something wrogn with your map, epecially with walls within other walls and entitys colliding with other objects.
12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

(12-20-2010, 03:25 PM)DIGI Byte Wrote: in a while, I'm releasing a some walls that tile perfectly, they'll be out in a week or 2 though so stick around

Okay, I'll keep an eye out for them. What type of walls are they (cellar, dungeon etc)? In fact, will I be able to edit pre-existing walls so I don't have to re-design the levels again?

(12-20-2010, 03:45 PM)nofsky Wrote: The static objects named "welder" are supposed to be used to hide visible seams in walls.

Ah, thanks for that. Is there a way to copy and paste a static object so I don't have to keep placing new ones down and resize?

(12-20-2010, 04:05 PM)LoneWolf Wrote: But i recommend that y ou have your game on also especially when scripting so that you can constantly check your map is workign and everythign looks fine, because you will always find that theres something wrogn with your map, epecially with walls within other walls and entitys colliding with other objects.

Hmm...I set up the dev environment before I started, but the game doesn't seem to want to load up now. I'm using Steam.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM by SpiritSharD.)
12-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

(12-20-2010, 04:12 PM)SpiritSharD Wrote: Okay, I'll keep an eye out for them. What type of walls are they (cellar, dungeon etc)?
mostly wallpaper, wooden walls and plaster, I might do stone and cobble if enough people ask

(12-20-2010, 04:12 PM)SpiritSharD Wrote: Ah, thanks for that. Is there a way to copy and paste a static object so I don't have to keep placing new ones down and resize?
there should be a clone function (duplicate) under edit when you have something selected Ctrl+D for the shortcut

(12-20-2010, 04:12 PM)SpiritSharD Wrote: Hmm...I set up the dev environment before I started, but the game doesn't seem to want to load up now. I'm using Steam.
you don't really need a 'dev' environment setup unless you really want too, but if what you did stopped the game from working, you may want to undo what you did, restore it if you have too or re download it from steam
12-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

(12-20-2010, 04:19 PM)DIGI Byte Wrote: mostly wallpaper, wooden walls and plaster, I might do stone and cobble if enough people ask

Well, if you could do some stone/cobble that would be great. Smile

(12-20-2010, 04:19 PM)DIGI Byte Wrote: there should be a clone function (duplicate) under edit when you have something selected Ctrl+D for the shortcut

Thanks for that. Big Grin

(12-20-2010, 04:19 PM)DIGI Byte Wrote: you don't really need a 'dev' environment setup unless you really want too, but if what you did stopped the game from working, you may want to undo what you did, restore it if you have too or re download it from steam

I'll work on fixing it at the moment. How do I go about testing the map without a dev environment then? Smile

EDIT:

Is there a way to change the settings so that XYZ values go up in smaller increments, such as 0.01?
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 04:56 PM by SpiritSharD.)
12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

SpiritSharD Wrote:I'll work on fixing it at the moment. How do I go about testing the map without a dev environment then? Smile

EDIT:

Is there a way to change the settings so that XYZ values go up in smaller increments, such as 0.01?

all you do is make a folder in your "custom stories" folder inside your amnesia game folder and make a folder inside that called maps

you save your map inside the maps folder you made and put a file in your custom map folder you made that has a lil code telling the game what is the map you want to load

it may sound confusing but its quite simple once you understand it...
here are some video tutorials to help you

Setup your own custom story Wrote:create custom story part 1

create custom story part 2

create custom story part 3
You don't have to edit any settings, but it does help, the only thing you need to worry about is the code parts for your 'custom story' not your profiles 'config' settings

For smaller increments, you should notice at the bottom of your level editor is a snap grid size, simply lower it by manually typing in the value there
1 = 1 meter
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM by DIGI Byte.)
12-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

(12-20-2010, 05:49 PM)DIGI Byte Wrote: *Snip*

Thank you very much for all the information you've given me. Smile I'll have a look at those videos as soon as possible.

At the moment I'm just trying to align some walls/doors so there's no z-fighting.
12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

Me again, sorry to be a pain.

Is there any videos on how to accurately place and align walls? I've literally spent hours trying to finish two rooms, but can't progress due to z-fighting issues or gaps.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/S...rstmap.png

Where the (poorly drawn) red boxes are I was going to make prisons cells...however I just could not fit the cell doors within the gap, and there were places where you could see through walls etc (in between cells when looking at them from outside). Sad The door in the middle of the map isn't place correctly either.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM by SpiritSharD.)
12-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Find