Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you "flip" static objects?
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Can you "flip" static objects?

have you got grid snap on? it should be by default 0.25 and the box should be pressed in, at the bottom of the screen.
12-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

Threads: 3

Grid snap is on, but I changed the value to 0.1 to make it more accurate.

I don't have problems getting two pieces of the same type of wall to fit together, but as soon as I go for a corner (with using a corner piece), or try to add a doorway, or make a prison cell, I encounter issues. All to do with my inexperience of course, but I was hoping there would be a way to ease the process.
12-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

Oh i see, well you just need to move the walls to suit, if a bit is stickin gout then move it back a little or that. Also it doesnt matter if bits are sticking out of the map, you dont see it when you actually play so this helps alot.

Also i make walls all around a room first, 1 by 1 in a row (in a box shape), i then delete a wall part and add in either a window or a door way. I do this so that i dont end up having things lined up badly.

If you have no experience in scripting then thats your big challenge, im getting really good at it now, previously i had no idea how to even make an entity appear properly Smile
12-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

I see, well, I guess I'm just going to have to fiddle around a bit more and have patience. Big Grin

I'm definitely not looking forward to putting a roof on the map. Blush

When you add your doorway, do you have to resize the door in order for it to fit? All the doors I've used so far are smaller than the frames/walls. Also;

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/S...stmap2.png

(Red area = door, blue area = wall)

Where the orange bit is, should I place a wall, or is there another object that would be more suited for that position?

I'm such a fail at this. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2010, 11:43 PM by SpiritSharD.)
12-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20

Were here to help.

to simplify what your after, you need to understand that everything is done in square units all done in meters 2 meters is the single wall and 4 meters is a standard wall, and the walls are measured from the middle, so 4 meters is 2 units from the one next to it, and so on.

as for fixing up little cracks and openings, or if you need to create a small space of wall that a normal wall piece cant do properly, you can use a wall joint piece instead or a pillar of stone or wood depending on what you want, a wall doesn't have to always be the answer
12-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

(12-20-2010, 11:41 PM)SpiritSharD Wrote: I see, well, I guess I'm just going to have to fiddle around a bit more and have patience. Big Grin

I'm definitely not looking forward to putting a roof on the map. Blush

When you add your doorway, do you have to resize the door in order for it to fit? All the doors I've used so far are smaller than the frames/walls. Also;

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/S...stmap2.png

(Red area = door, blue area = wall)

Where the orange bit is, should I place a wall, or is there another object that would be more suited for that position?

I'm such a fail at this. Tongue

If you put a frame on the doorway then the door is a perfect fit, all you need to do is move it up a little after clicking off the auto snap. Move it up till you see a nice white outline around the door, if you dont do this the door will spazz out and go nuts as it will be colliding with the doorframe.

Edit: You may not want to do this and i understand it can cause blurry textures, but you can scale walls also remember and also remember that there are 'short default walls' which are 2x smaller than the standard wall.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2010, 12:04 PM by LoneWolf.)
12-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

Thanks for the assistance guys; I've managed to progress a fair bit using the tips you've given me. Smile

I've just placed a lot of entities down on a table, however when I played the map I found I could pick up items that I hadn't intended to be used. I'm not quite sure how I can change them so they can't be used by the player, is it possible?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/S...stmap3.png
12-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

most entities the player can pick up, static objects don't move
12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Find
SpiritSharD Offline

(12-21-2010, 06:24 PM)DIGI Byte Wrote: most entities the player can pick up, static objects don't move

Is it possible to change the entities so they can't be picked up by the player though? I couldn't find some of the items as static objects. I placed those items down for decoration. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2010, 06:39 PM by SpiritSharD.)
12-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

haha, well the idea is that a player can come in and throw things around and make a mess Big Grin

but if you want, you can edit the code on the entities, BUT that's a very bad idea

it means those entities will never move unless you change them back, for your custom story, for the main story and for any other custom story

you'd also have to include those edited entities with your custom story if you wanted to give it to other people which would mess up their amnesia game as well
12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Find