Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LANG files.
snowninja13 Offline

Threads: 1
LANG files.

Hi everyone, Ive been meaning to add notes to my level, but I dont understand how Im supposed to use/make a custom .lang file. Ive read the tutorial, but it isnt specific enough on what Im supposed to do!

As you can tell, Im a pretty n00b scripter, so your help is much appreciated!!
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2010, 12:43 AM by snowninja13.)
12-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64
RE: LANG files.

(12-28-2010, 12:42 AM)snowninja13 Wrote: Hi everyone, Ive been meaning to add notes to my level, but I dont understand how Im supposed to use/make a custom .lang file. Ive read the tutorial, but it isnt specific enough on what Im supposed to do!

Sure i help you its easy when you get started for that Smile

Believe its easier to script lang.file then hps..

Okay first:

Make extra_english.lang file and when you done it check first this: Press ALT then -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View then unmark this " Hide extensions for known filetypes"

Second: Make example: in your editor and choose note_generic or note_letter or whatever then Name that "Note_Test01"
Then go to Entity tab then write that NoteText field ONLY Test01 and save.

Finally: Example for my map:

<LANGUAGE>
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">You wake up an unknown castle you must escape quickly before darkness will kill you!</Entry> <- Important to add for basic stuff.. On your level
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">

<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Name">Add name of your note</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Text">Add your text</Entry>
</CATEGORY> <- Important to add the end
</LANGUAGE> <- Important to add the end
Copy that..

I hope you understand Smile

Ask more if you get trouble.

“Life is a game, play it”
12-28-2010, 02:28 AM
Find
snowninja13 Offline

(12-28-2010, 02:28 AM)HumiliatioN Wrote:
(12-28-2010, 12:42 AM)snowninja13 Wrote: Hi everyone, Ive been meaning to add notes to my level, but I dont understand how Im supposed to use/make a custom .lang file. Ive read the tutorial, but it isnt specific enough on what Im supposed to do!

Sure i help you its easy when you get started for that Smile

Believe its easier to script lang.file then hps..

Okay first:

Make extra_english.lang file and when you done it check first this: Press ALT then -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View then unmark this " Hide extensions for known filetypes"

Second: Make example: in your editor and choose note_generic or note_letter or whatever then Name that "Note_Test01"
Then go to Entity tab then write that NoteText field ONLY Test01 and save.

Finally: Example for my map:

<LANGUAGE>
<Entry Name="Description">You wake up an unknown castle you must escape quickly before darkness will kill you!</Entry> <- Important to add for basic stuff.. On your level
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">

<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Name">Add name of your note</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_Test01_Text">Add your text</Entry>
</CATEGORY> <- Important to add the end
</LANGUAGE> <- Important to add the end
Copy that..

I hope you understand Smile

Ask more if you get trouble.

Just one thing, the extra_english.lang file, where does that go? Do I make it inside the Language configuration folder, or just in its old folder, this part is confusing me the most! D:
12-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Find
bigfoot Offline

Threads: 12

You place the .lang folder in your custom story folder.

Like this:

C:/Program blabl/labla/Amnesia - the dark descent/redist/custom story/[yourstorynamefolder]/[in here]

so go to your custom story folder and just paste it in there.

(C:/Program Files/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/redist/Custom Story/Horror Puzzle Survival/extra_english.lang <- this is mine)

or if you have the steam version.
I thought it was this but i'm not sure.

(C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia - the dark descent/redist/Custom Story/Horror Puzzle Survival/extra_english.lang <- steam version I believe)

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

and good luck btw ^^
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

(12-28-2010, 10:24 AM)bigfoot Wrote: You place the .lang folder in your custom story folder.

Like this:

C:/Program blabl/labla/Amnesia - the dark descent/redist/custom story/[yourstorynamefolder]/[in here]

(C:/Program Files/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/redist/Custom Story/Horror Puzzle Survival/extra_english.lang <- this is mine)

(C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia - the dark descent/redist/Custom Story/Horror Puzzle Survival/extra_english.lang <- steam version I believe)

and good luck btw ^^

He is right!

12-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Find
snowninja13 Offline

(12-28-2010, 03:30 PM)HumiliatioN Wrote:
(12-28-2010, 10:24 AM)bigfoot Wrote: You place the .lang folder in your custom story folder.

Like this:

and good luck btw ^^

He is right!
OMG! THANK YOU!! <3 ^_^ Great help, the tutorial never specified where the thing was meant to go, this is perfect!
12-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

(12-29-2010, 03:24 AM)snowninja13 Wrote:
(12-28-2010, 03:30 PM)HumiliatioN Wrote:

Like this:

and good luck btw ^^

He is right!
OMG! THANK YOU!! <3 ^_^ Great help, the tutorial never specified where the thing was meant to go, this is perfect!

Good im glad happy holidays Smile

12-29-2010, 04:21 AM
Find
kotuso Offline

Threads: 0

Hey guys, I am having a similar problem so I decided to post here instead of making a whole new thread. I have created the .lang file and I have placed it in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\custom_stories\storyroot

Now, I have the steam version, but I don't have a redist directory, could that be what is messing me up? Thank you for any help in advance.

Just in case, here is the grit of the lang file I made:

<LANGUAGE>
<Entry Name="Description">Short entry.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2010, 07:16 AM by kotuso.)
12-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

(12-31-2010, 07:15 AM)kotuso Wrote: Hey guys, I am having a similar problem so I decided to post here instead of making a whole new thread. I have created the .lang file and I have placed it in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\custom_stories\storyroot

Now, I have the steam version, but I don't have a redist directory, could that be what is messing me up? Thank you for any help in advance.

Just in case, here is the grit of the lang file I made:

<LANGUAGE>
<Entry Name="Description">Short entry.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

Thats new are you sure there is no "custom_stories folder if there are then make new folder from custom_stories folder and put lang file there.

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2010, 10:20 AM by HumiliatioN.)
12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Find
kotuso Offline

Threads: 0

Yes, there is a custom stories folder, and I did place the lang file in a folder I created in there, but I still don't get the description when I load amnesia. I have never had a redist directory though.
12-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Find