Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am not tech literate so I was confused about the Troubleshooting Guide...
Upyours192 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago I am not tech literate so I was confused about the Troubleshooting Guide...

First off, I bought the game on Steam, I am using a laptop thus I have an intergrated video card, and I am using Vista.

I have a problem launching the game. I read the first part of that guide, especially on the intergrated part, and was unable to really understand it other than I need to somehow disable my display adaptor or somehow download a new one...

I checked the hpl notepad file and here is what's posted:

Initializing Graphics Module
--------------------------------------------------------
Init lowlevel graphics: 640x480 bpp:32 fs:0 ms:0 gpufmt:2 cap:'Amnesia - The Dark Descent - Loading...' pos:(-1x-1)
Setting video mode: 640 x 480 - 32 bpp
Init Glew...OK
Setting up OpenGL
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel Cantiga
Version: 1.5.0 - Build 7.15.10.1511
Max texture image units: 16
Max texture coord units: 8
Max user clip planes: 6
Two sided stencil: 1
Vertex Buffer Object: 1
Anisotropic filtering: 1
Max Anisotropic degree: 2
Multisampling: 1
Texture compression: 1
Texture compression S3TC: 1
Auto generate MipMaps: 1
Render to texture: 0
Max draw buffers: 13
Max color render targets: 21
Packed depth-stencil: 0
Texture float: 0
GLSL Version: (null)
ShaderModel 2: 1
ShaderModel 3: 1
ShaderModel 4: 0
OGL ATIFragmentShader: 0

The problem that occured is that when I try to launch the game an error box appears saying, "Retreiving and analyzing crash data. A crash has occured... Please wait while gathering system information."

Then I am told that Amnesia.exe has stopped working to which I then close the program.

Please help. I know that this is an echoed problem. I am using a laptop and I do have an intergrated video card, which is a Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. I am using Vista...

And I know that the game has said that it may not work on low end or intergrated graphic cards... BUT!!! The reason why I got it was because I checked on the site http://canyourunit.com and the site told me that I could run that game well beyond its minimum requirements... Which is why I am slightly confused. I know that scans don't really work but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out! I really don't know what to do. I suppose I'm pretty boned.... But please, if there is any solution, please help me. And if the solution happened to be posted on that troubleshooting guide, please tell it to me in even more laymen's terms...

Thank you...
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2010, 08:27 AM by Upyours192.)
12-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Find
Upyours192 Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: I am not tech literate so I was confused about the Troubleshooting Guide...

After reading what was posted on another thread, I've decided that ultimately I'm screwed. Unless they make a patch that could somehow make it possible to run on Intel Video Cards (I don't know if that's possible but then again I don't know much about tech anything in general) then I have way around it. It's sad to say that I just wasted money on a game this good. I simply don't have the means to gaining access to a PC given my living conditions (lack of job and lack of space to put a computer if I got a job).

I guess my question is, would getting an external video card help this situation? If so, please walk me through it. Like how much does a decent one cost? What's the cheapest I can get it? Etc... Please help.
12-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: I am not tech literate so I was confused about the Troubleshooting Guide...

I could be wrong since I'm not familiar with these, but I don't really think that this "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family" is really a graphics card.
...as the name says: "chipset", not "graphics card".

Also for the second question, I don't think it's possible to get external graphics card for laptops.

At this point, all I can suggest is that you go here and download the latest drivers for your chipset and hope it works.

12-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Website Find
Upyours192 Offline

I thought that's my video card since its the only thing recognized in the display adaptor file.

As for the external graphics card for laptops, they do exist. There are various videos on youtube plus amazon still sells some. Its just tricky to make them work.
01-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Unfortunately sites like canyourunit.com does not use a 100% safe approach it seems. For starters they use incorrect requirements for Amnesia and I also doubt that they fully take into account how well OpenGL is supported for integrated graphics chips (probably only looking at their DirectX capabilities).
01-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Website Find