Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia VS Penumbra
davva Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra

(01-02-2011, 08:02 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: I prefer Penumbra 100 times over Amnesia, it is also 100 times scarier. I loved the story in Penumbra whereas I kinda didn't care about Daniel as much. Both great games, and the differences are minimal, but if I was going to be locked up and forced to play one game for the rest of my days. It would be Penumbra! (cause I get RED!! Big Grin )

(01-02-2011, 11:57 AM)Scraper Wrote: Penumbra. Hands down.

yes! this +1

01-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Find
AMV Ph34r Offline

(01-02-2011, 11:30 PM)Shev Wrote: Amnesia is kinda like black plague. Its got puzzles, and enemys you can't fight. It also messes with you sometimes.

Honestly Amnesia and Black Plague are pretty much equal in my opinion, amnesia vs. the penumbra series, I'd say amnesia is better.
I still think Black Plague is a bit scarier than Amnesia, though. Since you can't fight back, but some of the enemies have flashlights to see you better, or weapons to deal more damage. Then again, you could consider Amnesia's monsters claws or blade-arms weapons. And they do look much more gruesome. But you can just crouch somewhere and wait, and they'll be gone.
01-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Find
penumbra 4ever Offline

Penumbra is better

Sorry for my bad English
01-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(01-03-2011, 01:28 AM)AMV Ph34r Wrote:
(01-02-2011, 11:30 PM)Shev Wrote: Amnesia is kinda like black plague. Its got puzzles, and enemys you can't fight. It also messes with you sometimes.

Honestly Amnesia and Black Plague are pretty much equal in my opinion, amnesia vs. the penumbra series, I'd say amnesia is better.
I still think Black Plague is a bit scarier than Amnesia, though. Since you can't fight back, but some of the enemies have flashlights to see you better, or weapons to deal more damage. Then again, you could consider Amnesia's monsters claws or blade-arms weapons. And they do look much more gruesome. But you can just crouch somewhere and wait, and they'll be gone.

In amnesia they're faster than you are though. Plus in amnesia you don't have the few people who are there for you, letting you know that you're not alone.

Meh, they're kinda tied with me.

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011, 04:23 AM by Shev.)
01-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Find
AMV Ph34r Offline

(01-03-2011, 04:21 AM)Shev Wrote: In amnesia they're faster than you are though. Plus in amnesia you don't have the few people who are there for you, letting you know that you're not alone.
That's true. I guess they are fairly even. Though, those few people in Penumbra always end up dying by your own hands, soo... Undecided

[Image: elfin_10.jpg]
01-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

For me amnesia is better.

- Perfect atmosphere and immersion (you feel like you're the character and like you're living on XIX century)
- It gives a feeling that you are alone (even more if you play alone in a dark room late at night)
- PERFECT sound work
- The fact you can't fight back makes it even more scary
- I personally like the story but much people hates it :/
- The sanity thing is a good feature but needs improvement and being afraid of the dark is very ridiculous, it should be just for scary events and not staying in dark at all.
- I think it's much replayable, and i love playing custom maps.

And in your first gameplay you should not know that the monsters are scripted, but after knowing it is a bit less scary. Af you don't know, you still get scared and think that the monsters are there. And this is what amnesia is made of, by get scared by sounds and by always thinking that is a monster right after the corner.
01-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

Penumbra definitely had the better puzzles - there isn't much you can do in a castle without electricity.

Amnesia is easier to get into in the way that it flows well.. the pacing is much smoother and for this reason I'd say Amnesia is better if you want to introduce someone to these types of games.

Overall I think I prefer Penumbra, mainly for the story. However it is easy to see how much Frictional have improved when playing Amnesia.
01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Find
spuds1827 Offline

Threads: 0

I like Amnesia much, much more than Penumbra. The atmosphere was more well done, it was more immersive, and I've always had a love affair with historical motifs. The alchemical element to the story set in an Eastern Prussian castle was just too much, I thought it was awesome.
01-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

I honestly think most people who said amnesia, didn't really play penumbra at all.

i spam meme 4 raeg
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Find
AMV Ph34r Offline

(01-04-2011, 07:40 AM)Bek Wrote: I'd say Amnesia is better if you want to introduce someone to these types of games.
Hmm... you've got a point there. I did play Amnesia before Penumbra, so maybe I didn't really notice that.

Eh, now I'm also 50/50, for different reasons.

[Image: elfin_10.jpg]
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Find