Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Framerate drops randomly after loading previous games
WhiteKnight Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Framerate drops randomly after loading previous games

Hi,

After loading a previously saved game, I notice that even if not moving anywhere in the game, the FPS will start at 60 and then for no reason drop to 57 or 55 FPS which will cause a stutter. Keep in mind, I am not moving around anywhere in the game, after loading a game, I watch the FPS and usually after 20seconds or so, i see the FPS drop to 57, 55, etc. If I am moving in the game at the time this FPS drop occurs, I notice the stutter. What is the reason for this? When I look at the Task Manager, it looks like the memory is increasing slightly when the FPS drop occurs. But even if the FPS drops to 57 or 55, i dont think it should stutter, shouldn't notice a stutter prolly until the FPS drops to below 30. I have tried disabling Aero and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also, I tried disabling all non-MS services and starup items through msconfig and didn't make a difference either. Finally, I set ALL settings to the lowest they could be (i.e. SSAO off, Low textures, 640x480 resolution, etc) and this problem still exists so seems to me like a problem with the games programming. Is this some problem related to buffering or something else that can be tweaked. I am attaching my main_settings.cfg file for your review.

My specs are as follows:
Intel I7 950 3.06 Quad core (stock settings)
Corsair Dominator DDR3 DHX 6GB 1600MHz ram 8-8-8-24 timings
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
EVGA GTX 480 1.5MB
EVGA X58 FTW3
OCZ Vertex2 SSD

Attached Files
.cfg   main_settings.cfg (Size: 1.15 KB / Downloads: 106)
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2011, 05:51 AM by WhiteKnight.)
01-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Framerate drops randomly after loading previous games

Its possible you have a memory leak when you installed the game, it can occur when installing multiple things or moving/accessing lots of data while its installing

This can be fixed be uninstalling and re-installing the game, but first.

Please post your hpl.log file, located in your documents/amnesia/main
01-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Find
WhiteKnight Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Framerate drops randomly after loading previous games

Hi there,

Not sure how a memory leak even if it occurred during installation could still affect a game long after the installation...

I've attached the hpl.log as requested, hopefully it will tell you something that will be able to resolve this issue.

Thanks again!
01-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Find
Bek Offline

(01-12-2011, 05:46 AM)WhiteKnight Wrote: EVGA GTX 480 1.5MB

Well theres your problem Tongue

Out of curiosity, did you install it to the SSD? You've got all the latest drivers installed? (Inc video, sound etc)
01-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I believe I have the same problem on some other games with my GTX 470.
However, this doesn't affect the rest of the game, so I don't mind it that much.

01-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Website Find
WhiteKnight Offline

LOL at the 1.5MB typo Tongue. Anyway, yes I installed the game to the SSD and I have the latest video/sound card drivers loaded, all Windows 7 updates applied, etc. Any useful info in that hpl.log?
01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Find
WhiteKnight Offline

well, i reinstalled the game and began from the beginning again and now I am not getting the stutter in those places that I was in the particular save file so does seem like something that got buggered up in the save file somehow. Although, instead of creating my own savegames and loading those, I am just using the save games that the game creates automatically and seems to be working fine now 60FPS steady. I can't remember if I already patched the game though, how can I tell if the game is patched or not? I don't want to just go ahead and patch the game if it's already patched, for fear of screwing something up.
01-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Find