Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ladder level transition problem
Equil Offline

Threads: 8
Ladder level transition problem

Me and my friend who are both building a custom story have run into a problem with a ladder level transition. I've scripted an area within the ladder area path that changes the map to the next one, which works fine, however it crashes during the load screen. I then experimented by placing the area on just a normal flat Plane, and it works fine.

So is there some kind of bug with ladders and level changing? This is what I thought and looked through the sewer map and script where you climb up that ladder which leads to the torture nave level, I didn't see anything fancy or different to what we've done.

We're quite stumped on this one, any help appreciated.

EDIT: I fixed it, I ran Amnesia as Administrator(I'm using Windows 7) by right clicking the .exe file, and no more crashing. Very odd. Not something I would have suspected. Anyone using Windows 7 should run Amnesia as administrator to avoid crashing I guess. :S

RE EDIT: Oops.. shouldn't have put the solved tag up that early. I managed to get it to work once, now it's crashing again. Very strange problem.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2011, 05:02 AM by Equil.)
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Ladder level transition problem

The game actually crashes, with an error message?

If it loads the level, that means there is nothing wrong with the script. I have a similar transition to (magic room 1 to 2) where the player falls from a ladder, which works fine.

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Find
Equil Offline

Yes, it crashes ONLY if you're on the ladder while the level changes, it works completely flawlessly however if you collide with the area anywhere while not on the ladder.
01-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

Seems to be a glitch in the engine, better tell Frictional!

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

The sewers has a level change while you're on a ladder... maybe have a look at that?
01-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Find
Equil Offline

Quote:The sewers has a level change while you're on a ladder... maybe have a look at that?

I did look at the sewer map.. I can't find anything different to ours.

dev script:

void CollideExitMap(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{
    ChangeMap("21_torture_nave.map", "PlayerStartArea_1", "20_exit", "");
}

Our script:

void ChangeLevel(string &in asParent, string &in asChild, int alState)
{

ChangeMap("02_sewer.map", "PlayerStartArea_1", "", "");

}

There doesn't seem to be any functions within the script relating to the ladder area either.. it's very odd.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2011, 05:01 AM by Equil.)
01-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Find
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6

Maybe you could go around the problem by making the player hit the bottom/top of the ladder in complete darkness and just as the player goes off the ladder you could make it go to the next level Smile.

The one playing the game will never know that he/she actually went off the ladder...
01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Find
Vradcly Offline

Threads: 6

Lol, I had this problem today when I was working on my story, game crashed everytime when I was trying to load a map from a ladder (used an area collide), so I searched the forum and found this. My suggestion worked, only problem is if the player has lantern on when he/she reaches to the top of the ladder, but I built a small corridor above so it looks good anyway Smile.
01-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Find