Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Weapons (please read and discuss)
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Weapons (please read and discuss)

(06-05-2012, 07:26 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: I must disagree with street boat. In Penumbra:Overture, the player was given "tools" that functioned as weapons. Frictional Games made sure the combat was clunky so they would be used as a last resort; but inevitably, many players found ways around it and were able to easily kill all enemies, thus greatly reducing the horror experience. At that point, it turned into a "hack-and-slash" ordeal.

tl;dr no matter how bad/clunky you make combat, it doesn't even remotely compare to no combat at all because people can find a way to make it easy/not scary.

The planets must be aligned, because I just agreed with CrankyOldMan :O
I played all three games (except for the second half of Requiem, my game broke and I gave up on it), and honestly, I never even thought to use those weapons because they were so hard to use.

Not saying it's great for Amnesia, it would just be a useful mechanic for my particular story, just because of the background it has. It's enough of a stretch that I'm turning Diablo into a first person survival story, not having weapons at all would just be frustrating to people who know the series, I think.

[Image: signature-2.png]
06-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Find
bugmenot Offline

Threads: 21

(06-01-2012, 06:33 PM)stonecutter Wrote: Why digging for this old thread ?

what about this ?

Wow, great video! You've really made clear the flexibility the HPL engine has to offer. There should really be (and there might be) more threads where productive scripting discussion occurs about pushing amnesia to its creative limits. Of course there are tons of ideas about what's good and what isn't, but the ability to actually realize them is something else (i.e. it's what makes the internet awesome), thank you for that!

To anyone still disappointed with the limits this thread has, I recommend the "the small horse" custom stories for some ideas of what Amnesia scripting (and the engine overall) is capable of: http://j.mp/L1J1oX
06-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Find
IsaacJGL Offline

Threads: 3

Please, no. Just no. This game is a survival horror, it is specifically meant to be for hiding and/or running, not seeing a brute and shredding it with a MachineGun, that's not scary.

Paint the lines... cut the man... Paint the lines... cut the man...

06-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Find
aamazegirl Offline

Threads: 0

what about this ?

(06-06-2012, 02:18 AM)bugmenot Wrote:

what about this ?

Wow, great video! You've really made clear the flexibility the HPL engine has to offer. There should really be (and there might be) more threads where productive scripting discussion occurs about pushing amnesia to its creative limits. Of course there are tons of ideas about what's good and what isn't, but the ability to actually realize them is something else (i.e. it's what makes the internet awesome), thank you for that!

To anyone still disappointed with the limits this thread has, I recommend the "the small horse" custom stories for some ideas of what Amnesia scripting (and the engine overall) is capable of: http://j.mp/L1J1oX

Just found this thread and am pretty glad I did. I'm working on my own custom story and knowing that I might be able to including shooting elements has certainly broadened my perspective about what I can actually do in my own mod. Thanks for the post!
06-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Find
Everlive Offline

Threads: 0

If I had a pistol and one bullet in it and a monster popped up, i would freak and fire. If I missed I would scream and run for the best hiding spot. Very limited weapons would add to the game, initial safety to overwhelming fear. Hit one but there's more. "OMG! Another bullet! Better use this wis-" Monster appears "F%@#!!!" *Fires* *Fake monster disappears**No ammo left on the map*
Could even put you into a mental state of hiding even more now that you went from a possible monster slayer to a helpless failure.
Maybe even add the possibility of the flintlock pistol jamming?
09-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Weapons don't look a bad idea ALWAYS that they are very pathetical, just as the player. I don't mean Ak-47 or RPG, I mean normal hammers, like in-game. Hand-to-hand. The enemy would surely kill you, and your weapons would be pathetical against them. Also, breaking weapons would be even cooler, but would require a lot of work more.

The sense of helplesness can be given this way: You have a hammer. You strike him. The hammer breaks. You shit in your pants. You escape. The monsters chase you. And happens "X". Maybe you escape succesfully, maybe you don't.

It's just a perspective. Don't kill me for this. I'm agree that weapons can ruin the game, but only if they are over-used a lot. If there are only two in all the CS, very easy to break, it's fine. It would give a false sense of security.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65

It's entirely possible to implement working Melee weapons as I did it before with a decent ammount of accuracy.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Find
naseem142 Offline

Threads: 19

Not being able to defend yourself makes the game scary D:
All i got to say to weapons is. Naw

I help people when i'm bored :U

Typing Speed: 74 Words per minute
10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Website Find
ZodiaC Offline

Threads: 8

Your idea would change the genre of the game, and replacing the lantern with a usable sword, making the monsters able to get killed is not that simple...it would be interesting but I like the idea of the defenceless one...One the other hand I would like to see a custom story where you could trap the monster in a cage or something else and kill it with fire maybe, or any similar ideas to this...Something like that would be really interesting in my opinion

[Image: 2H1Mc.jpg]
10-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Find
naseem142 Offline

Threads: 19

(10-31-2012, 09:38 PM)ZodiaC Wrote: Your idea would change the genre of the game, and replacing the lantern with a usable sword, making the monsters able to get killed is not that simple...it would be interesting but I like the idea of the defenceless one...One the other hand I would like to see a custom story where you could trap the monster in a cage or something else and kill it with fire maybe, or any similar ideas to this...Something like that would be really interesting in my opinion
You just got me an idea for my custom story , lol thanks Rolleyes

I help people when i'm bored :U

Typing Speed: 74 Words per minute
11-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Website Find