Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I play this exactly? Sanity/Light and Darkness - please explain
Tintin Offline

Threads: 4
How do I play this exactly? Sanity/Light and Darkness - please explain

I'm enjoying the game but finding it to be a little frustrating. I've played stealth games before (the Thief series are brilliant) and I've played the Penumbra games (also very good Smile, so I'm not exactly expecting to be invincible. I also love the idea of having a Sanity bar that needs to be monitored but in all of this Daniel still comes across as a real pansy. I'm creeped out by a lot of stuff but he seems to freak out often at absolutely nothing. Any tips on how to stay sane? My oil lamp runs out quickly and using the tinderboxes seems a bit strange and a waste of resources when I'm in the area for such a short time. I'm not sure how this works. Obviously Daniel is comforted by the light but it also makes it easy for the enemy to see him. Obviously he hates the dark but why then does his night-vision activate only sometimes? What makes some darkness less frightening then other patches of darkness? And why does it often get darker as you move closer to something; shouldn't his eyes adjust to the darkness? Someone please explain this all to me.

(I'm up to the part where I've found the four chemicals and combined them to make Acid - interesting).

Thanks guys!
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2011, 02:13 PM by Tintin.)
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Find
CrushedRaiD Offline

Threads: 10
RE: How do I play this exactly? Sanity/Light and Darkness - please explain

Well, my tactic on the game was that i was always at the corners of the room, used the tinderboxes only in places where i have to go more than once or just pass by.. Just try to stay near windows (if possible) and use the lantern at places where there are not that many candles or torches.. You will find lots of tinderboxes later in the game so just use them Big Grin
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0

just a tip, but if you find your running out of oil a lot, it means you are either not using the sprint button, or you are staying in the same place too long, remember to keep moving yet always search a room for goodies, and if you are going to be somewhere for a couple more seconds, you may as well use a tinderbox, if you are smart you won't run out anytime soon, and in regards to the sanity thing, you don't need to be in constant light, but whenever you are moving or searching use it, if you are just waliing through a dim but not dark corridor, then you don't need the lantern,honestly, if it isn't the kind of darkness that is scary, don't bother with light.
01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

You might not like the answer, but: stay in the same place for a while. Find a candle or light one and huddle by it until your sanity restores. Or: like they said, pick up the pace and keep your oil well stocked by finding all the hidden stashes and keep your lantern itself lowish since the standing oil drums give you oil based on how much is in your lantern at the time.
01-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(01-26-2011, 09:27 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: You might not like the answer, but: stay in the same place for a while. Find a candle or light one and huddle by it until your sanity restores. Or: like they said, pick up the pace and keep your oil well stocked by finding all the hidden stashes and keep your lantern itself lowish since the standing oil drums give you oil based on how much is in your lantern at the time.

it's acctually based on how much oil you have total, sooo, yeah, they can become pretty useless when you have a lot of oil, and if you play smart you will.
01-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Find
Tintin Offline

Thanks guys. Actually, I do crouch in the dark a lot and stay hidden (a habit from my days of playing the Thief games). I don't sprint anywhere, I pretty much crouch and creep wherever I go. Maybe I need to do a bit of sprinting every now and then and move around more. I don't use the oil lantern in the dim light and I do make use of the natural moonlight from windows, I just use it in the pitch black darkness. Daniel still seems to freak out easily. I tried bathing in the glow of a candle for awhile and my sanity slowly increased but never back to the point where I was completely sane. Is this normal? Maybe I should use more tinderboxes (I still have 11 or so at this point) and less of the lantern. Thanks for your help!
01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Find
CrushedRaiD Offline

(01-26-2011, 02:04 PM)Tintin Wrote: Thanks guys. Actually, I do crouch in the dark a lot and stay hidden (a habit from my days of playing the Thief games). I don't sprint anywhere, I pretty much crouch and creep wherever I go. Maybe I need to do a bit of sprinting every now and then and move around more. I don't use the oil lantern in the dim light and I do make use of the natural moonlight from windows, I just use it in the pitch black darkness. Daniel still seems to freak out easily. I tried bathing in the glow of a candle for awhile and my sanity slowly increased but never back to the point where I was completely sane. Is this normal? Maybe I should use more tinderboxes (I still have 11 or so at this point) and less of the lantern. Thanks for your help!

About the tinderboxes, try doing like this: Only light 1 or 2 candles/torches in a room, unless its a big one :o u don't need that much light, and most of the time the darkness is really useful Big Grin
01-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

yeah, your sanity will very very rarely go to clear, the highest it usually gets is slight headache, but it only really goes to clear at certain points in the game. and you don't really need to creep around crouching, just make sure to check your corners and you should be able to just sprint most of the time,
01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Find
kailip Offline

lol, at my first run on amnesia I never ran out of oil or tinderboxes. I mean, IMO the game should have less oil and tinderboxes D:

I had about a full filled lantern and 7/8 oil jars, and about 50 tinderboxes. Big Grin
01-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Find
CrushedRaiD Offline

(01-26-2011, 03:10 PM)kailip Wrote: lol, at my first run on amnesia I never ran out of oil or tinderboxes. I mean, IMO the game should have less oil and tinderboxes D:

I had about a full filled lantern and 7/8 oil jars, and about 50 tinderboxes. Big Grin

Wow :o Dats lot of oil and tinders Big Grin I didn't have any oil left at the *SPOILER* Prison area. But then i started saving it Big GrinD and believe me.. u dont want to run out of oil in there -,,-'
01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Find