Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Would you make a custom story if it was easier to learn to make one?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes. Yes. YES!!!111! :3
70.31%
45 70.31%
Yeah, that sounds good.
20.31%
13 20.31%
Meh, I don't really care.
3.13%
2 3.13%
Not really, I guess it would be cool though.
4.69%
3 4.69%
STFU, that is a dumb idea.
1.56%
1 1.56%
Total 64 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[POLL!] Would you LIKE to make a custom story/map, but DON'T KNOW how? [POLL]
Sharkhead Offline

Threads: 1
RE: [POLL!] Would you LIKE to make a custom story/map, but DON'T KNOW how? [POLL]

Hey wait... They are still making the HPL2???

I was thinking here there was already a HPL2 to download...
03-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2
RE: [POLL!] Would you LIKE to make a custom story/map, but DON'T KNOW how? [POLL]

(03-02-2011, 01:28 AM)Sharkhead Wrote: Hey wait... They are still making the HPL2???

I was thinking here there was already a HPL2 to download...

Huh? What? Where did you get that from?
They are already working on HPL3 (see dev blog).

03-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

(03-01-2011, 09:45 PM)Pandemoneus Wrote:
(03-01-2011, 06:18 PM)Fomzo Wrote: And speaking of making huge map, I hope that there are no space limits in HPL2, are there?

As far as I can remember, Jens (one of the devs) said no.
But it's up to you how long you want the player to wait to load your map, keep that in mind. You might find it pretty annoying aswell when you test your map and it takes ages to load.

Great Thanks, dude. I will keep that in mind.
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Find
MaesterSolaris Offline

Threads: 1

This is a great idea! I make machinima films on the internet, and when I found out about the custom story feature, I figured it would be a great tool to use for machinima. However, the whole process is pretty confusing for a noob (lol) so some tutorials would really come in handy.
03-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

Well, the best way of becoming a professional in custom stories, creating maps etc. is learnin C and C++ script language and then browse this forum in search of instructions e.x.
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/start
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM by Fomzo.)
03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

I'd like to be able to make custom maps. But I know nothing whatsoever about it. The most complex map editor I've ever used was on the Xbox 360 version of Far Cry 2.

And as for putting in my own graphics or sounds, or creating scary effects, or scripting - I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The only programming of any kind I've ever done was on the BBC Micro back in 1995 just before I finished at school, and I was crap at it even back then - and that was only for simple text-based games. And I've done nothing of the kind since then.

Also, the map creation tools don't seem to be available on Mac.

But yeah, I'd like to give it ago, probably just starting with making a level, before I worried about story or enemies or whatever.

Wow - what a mansion!
03-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Find
Nye Offline

Threads: 8

(03-03-2011, 08:01 PM)Bulbatron Wrote: I'd like to be able to make custom maps. But I know nothing whatsoever about it. The most complex map editor I've ever used was on the Xbox 360 version of Far Cry 2.

And as for putting in my own graphics or sounds, or creating scary effects, or scripting - I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The only programming of any kind I've ever done was on the BBC Micro back in 1995 just before I finished at school, and I was crap at it even back then - and that was only for simple text-based games. And I've done nothing of the kind since then.

But yeah, I'd like to give it ago, probably just starting with making a level, before I worried about story or enemies or whatever.

Tools are available on Mac.

See here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tools/start

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2011, 12:11 AM by Nye.)
03-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

(03-04-2011, 12:10 AM)Nye Wrote:
(03-03-2011, 08:01 PM)Bulbatron Wrote: I'd like to be able to make custom maps. But I know nothing whatsoever about it. The most complex map editor I've ever used was on the Xbox 360 version of Far Cry 2.

Tools are available on Mac.

See here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tools/start

Thanks, have now downloaded it. Not that I've got the foggiest idea what I"m doing! I had a quick look, laid some floor, put some wall next to it, then realised I couldn't work out how to rotate objects or the area I'm placing them onto. I was thinking that some kind of video-tutorial for extreme beginners might be an idea.

I sort of wish the editor had a sort of 'beginner' mode which eliminated all of the more customisable elements, so that you could literally drop stuff found in the main game onto the map. So just, say all the walls/floors/ceilings and then objects and lights and then an easy way to put lighting effects in for windows.

So, if you've ever built a house in 'The Sims' then I sort of wonder whether that sort of set-up would work - for beginners, I mean of course.

Sorry if I sound extremely stupid. I'll have to try the Wiki but I don't know how basic it makes the tutorials. I would've thought it would assume a certain level of knowledge.

Wow - what a mansion!
03-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2

There are some video tutorials in the wiki. Wink

Check The Editors at the bottom of the page.
-> http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tutorials/start

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2011, 01:13 AM by Pandemoneus.)
03-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Find
Skaruts Offline

Threads: 11

I'm very very interested in experimenting with Amnesia editors to possibly turn some of the very short stories I've writen into interactive bits or even nice spooky playable moments. I'm currently limited in time, but I'm doing a little here and there to get myself going into it.

The only problem with my stories is that they turn out to be quite ambitious in terms of assets and chatacters (models), texturing, and voice acting... and perhaps on the scripting too (well, mostly everything, I guess...). Even tho most of them are only 2-4 pages long. Big Grin
03-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Find