Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

(mostly) working linux amd64
DirtY iCE Offline

Threads: 1
(mostly) working linux amd64

I got some free time, and tried to compile hpl1 engine for amd64. I've updated angelscript, and now using newton-2. Collision, object interaction so far looks good (no object instant hitting).

I've created a custom waf based build script, it's available here along with HPL1Engine, OALWrapper, and PenumbraOverture: https://github.com/DirtYiCE/penumbrabuild

Of course, you can just fetch the modified HPL1Engine and PenumbraOverture, but that case you have to manually update cmake scripts (and probably send me a pull request, so users don't like waf can use cmake).

Some notes for now:
  • The game slows down horribly after a few minutes of play. It's probably because of the physics changes, but the hpl1's built in timing doesn't measure any slowdown, even when the fps drops down to 1-2.
  • On the very beginning of the game (boat cabin) the notebook is scaled down in the map file. With newton-1, it's somewhy ignored, and displayed in 1:1, but with newton-2, it's scaled down (and get lost immediately as you load the level), so you cannot pick it up. For now, find maps/level00_01_boat_cabin.dae, go to line 58422, and comment out
    <scale sid="scale">0.028078 0.223144 0.168925</scale>
    (assuming you have the linux version from humble indie bundle. I don't know if the assets are same in the different releases...)
  • There is a problem when loading the third level (entering the shelter), and newton segfaults. I'm not 100% sure it's newton's fault, but until i sort this out there's a patch here. Apply it to the checked out newton, and recompile it.
  • Didn't really get past mine entrace, so there may be other problems.
02-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
RE: (mostly) working linux amd64

Nice work so far. Let me know when it's ready to merge into a Newton2 branch on the main repo.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Website Find
wally Offline

Threads: 2

Just want to say good job, somebody's got to do something with HPL1.
03-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Find
Chewi Offline

Threads: 0

Someone just pointed me here. I'm feeling simultaneous joy and frustration right now because it looks like you started from scratch when I'd already done most of the work ages ago! I never quite got it to work properly though and Urkle wasn't sure either. Touching anything resulted in insta-death. Here's my branch.

https://github.com/FrictionalGames/HPL1E...ee/Newton2
By the way, if you think the problem might be AngelScript, the latest version that the engine builds with without any modifications is 2.11.0. It certainly isn't the latest but it's a lot newer than the version the game was distributed with.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2011, 06:02 PM by Chewi.)
03-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Find
Naddiseo Offline

Threads: 0

I think I may have it working on linux amd64 with angelscript 2.22.0, and Newton2 r1057. I basically combined a few of the other branches out there and it seemed to work. That being said, i also had the issue with the disappearing notebook, and commenting out that <scale /> line in the map solved that. And, I also got to the old storage area and the box with the stone in disappeared after a moved it (it fell through the floor). Aside from those two things it looks to work. My branch is: https://github.com/Naddiseo/HPL1Engine
11-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Find