Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which one?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Grunt in the Guest Room.
10.00%
2 10.00%
Brute in the Morgue.
90.00%
18 90.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Better entrance? Grunt or Brute?
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: Better entrance? Grunt or Brute?

(08-02-2012, 07:21 PM)Chronofox Wrote: The Brute's entrance had been far more brutal than the Grunt's.
You made my day, so thank you. Big Grin
Yeah, I passed out in a pile of dead naked bodies. Which do YOU think is scarier?
08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(08-02-2012, 07:21 PM)Chronofox Wrote: The Brute's entrance had been far more brutal than the Grunt's.
DOH SNAP.

Imo, the grunt's execution was superior. Although it's not confirmed, doesn't the wine cellar event have something to do with the origin of the grunts? At the very least,there is a note in the archives about the "gatherers"; it seems the grunt had much more of a back story than the brute, which to me is just as important as the sounds/visuals for building up suspense (not to say the grunt didn't have those as well).

In all fairness though, the brute character couldn't work the same way; trying to maintain the intense atmosphere in the middle of the game while trying to revert to those same tactics to build suspense would most likely ruin the mood and pace. There was almost no subtlety involved in the brute's build up, it was simply seeing him walking down a long corridor a few times, listening to him murder a few prisoners off in the distance, then finished off with him kicking down a door in the morgue. It felt a bit rushed to me.

I rate it 3 memes.
08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Find
HateSolstice Offline

Threads: 0

(08-02-2012, 07:31 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote:
DOH SNAP.

Imo, the grunt's execution was superior. Although it's not confirmed, doesn't the wine cellar event have something to do with the origin of the grunts? At the very least,there is a note in the archives about the "gatherers"; it seems the grunt had much more of a back story than the brute, which to me is just as important as the sounds/visuals for building up suspense (not to say the grunt didn't have those as well).

In all fairness though, the brute character couldn't work the same way; trying to maintain the intense atmosphere in the middle of the game while trying to revert to those same tactics to build suspense would most likely ruin the mood and pace. There was almost no subtlety involved in the brute's build up, it was simply seeing him walking down a long corridor a few times, listening to him murder a few prisoners off in the distance, then finished off with him kicking down a door in the morgue. It felt a bit rushed to me.
I felt the prison was a very nice build-up. Besides, if you played the game with the correct gamma setting, you could barely see him anyway.
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Find
patchesthedrow Offline

Threads: 1

(08-02-2012, 07:31 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
You made my day, so thank you. Big Grin
Yeah, I passed out in a pile of dead naked bodies. Which do YOU think is scarier?
Ah, yes. The morgue. Even though the drop-off point of the elevator was the first time I actually got close to a servant, the morgue was tied. I hadn't actually seen the thing. My sanity was next to nill after collecting the blood in a gruesome fashion and then I hear its cries. I turned off my lamp and hid behind a pile of corpses. It never actually broke down the door and gave up the hunt eventually, but all the while my sanity was incrementally decreasing. MY screen was sideways and those drumbeats were like something out of Lovecraftian-styled racial memory.
08-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Find