Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a room look realistic?
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22
Making a room look realistic?

I really have No idea how to archieve this, I mostly get a room with some furniture, but it just dosen't look like a real room. It looks more like a Game Beta Room of some sort. (You get what i mean, Un-Realistic.)

Any Tips on how to make it look more realistic??
04-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Making a room look realistic?

I'm not sure if I'm the best one to answer this but, I'll give u a few tips to give your rooms some atmosphere. This image is actually from my first map and the first room i made.

[Image: 2jed8b7.jpg]

1. If you have a window in your map. You should almost always use spot light to create some shadows. Don't overdo it though, just a subtle shadow can be enough.
2. Dust... Not necessary but can look nice with billboards. I used ps_light_dust.ps ParticleSystem
3. I have 3 point lights in the picture. One in front of each window and one at the middle of the room. Play with the color and range to gain the best looking effect.
4!!?!. just place a LOT of stuff in the room. Theres all kinds of stuff in the entities list.
04-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

Looks nice, Could you explain me how to use the Spot light? I used the tutorial from the Wiki but their not really working for me.
04-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

Well, I'll try to give you some more general guidelines, which would apply to any game.

1. Observe reality.
2. Give each room a function in the whole. Living room, kitchen, cellar,.. Fill them up with correct props; and make sure they are logically connected (kitchen not too far from dining room,..)
3. Try to fill it up with some smaller props. A rug on the floor, painting on the wall,.. They make the difference.
4. Try adding different shapes than the usual "square room". L-shaped rooms, or something breaking the space up makes it look less boring.
5. Windows. A study will usually have quite some light shining in and enough candles to read after sunset, a cellar will have artificial light most of the time (you can have horizontal "windows" to let some light get through, which can give interesting effects).
6. ..
04-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Find