Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
disable wavy video effects?
arinekhen Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago disable wavy video effects?

Hi. This is a beautiful game. But, I've only played for an hour or so, because I cannot take the wobbly, intentionally distorted video. It literally makes me sick. I understand it is for scary effect, and it's cool, but I'd like to know if there are any video effects I can disable/hack/edit to steady the video so I can continue to play Amnesia.

I understand I may be asking for the impossible, but thanks very much for any suggestions.
04-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Find
GlitchBoy2 Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: disable wavy video effects?

I sympathize arinekhen, I just posted asking about the same thing. There just has to be a way!
04-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Find
TFEF Offline

Threads: 0

Hit 'escape', go to 'options', and under graphics or something like that, uncheck 'insanity'. That should do it.
04-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Find
GlitchBoy2 Offline

Thanks, I just tried that but unfortunately it did not turn off the effect Sad
04-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Find
TFEF Offline

Hmm... Have you tried going into the game.cfg file (located in redist/config in Amnesia's files) and scrolling down to <Player_Sanity? Changing a certain few of those values to zero, mainly the first four, might help you.

I haven't really messed around with those values before, so I can't really tell you what each one of those does.

I assume that the sanity effects are what is bothering you, seeing as those are what cause the 'wobblevision', as I like to call it.
04-17-2011, 01:30 AM
Find
GlitchBoy2 Offline

I already tried those too but no dice. I've tried changing tons of game.cfg values, even ones that i thought would only have a slight chance of getting rid of the wobblevision (good description) all to no avail.

I can't believe how hard this is turning out to be! This should be simple! Does anyone from the developers monitor this forum that they may eventually see these threads and help us out?
04-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Find
TFEF Offline

You should try PM'ing Jens or Thomas. They can help you out, and they usually get on ~3-4 times a day.
04-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Find
p0rtalthinker Offline

Insanity option turns off the in and out motion of the camera, but I seem to remember the side blurry effects were another one of those 5 options next to the insanity option. Try disabling all of those and see if that works.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2011, 08:01 PM by p0rtalthinker.)
04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Find
GlitchBoy2 Offline

Well here's what happened. After all my tweaks seemed to fail, I decided "what the hell, I'm going to play it anyway...even if it does make me nauseous."

So I started playing it, trying my best to ignore the slow rotating effect. Well after playing it for a few minutes, I realized it wasn't doing it anymore! So I played it for about an hour or more. Then I thought, well I'm going to turn Insanity back on it the menu w/o undoing any of my cfg tweaks and see what happens.

After doing that, I have the neat shaking/blurring/etc. effects of insanity (which I like) but without the slow rotating, which was really the only effect that was bothering me aside from the head-bobbing (which was easy to turn off) If I could digress for a bit, I must say that head-bobbing is by far the worst effect for motion sickness in FP games and isn't even very realistic when you think about it...I mean, whose vision bobs up and down when they're walking/running?? It doesn't because your brain and eyes are smart enough to fix on stationary objects! So why oh why do they insist on putting it in FP games?? oh well, so long as I can turn it off....Rolleyes

Anyway, to all those of you who have the same problem I do, all I can say is that it seems changes to the cfg file involving sanity/insanity don't take affect right away. Maybe they only kick in when your sanity level changes.
04-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Find
arinekhen Offline

If I can work up the courage to try these, I will, thanks for posting your results! But I've been having a separate problem with my equilibrium and I am actually afraid to try playing it again because I'm afraid it will aggravate my condition. If I get sufficiently better I will probably try again and see if these settings help.

<salute>
04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Find