Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Touchy Subject
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Touchy Subject

I'm Atheist in the sense that I do not believe in organized religion. There are so many to choose from, all of which believe they are the ONE TRUE FAITH, and that all of the others are FAKE. Well, out of all of the true faiths, which one is truly true?

I'm Agnostic in the sense that, for all anyone knows, there could be some higher power up there, one that science/theology could never prove/disprove. There's no sense in worrying about it however, so I always just tell people I'm Atheist for simplicity's sake.
04-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I'm a pretty superstitious agnostic, I believe that there is some kind of high power that we can't prove or disprove, it's just there.. Force of nature if you will. One thing that I truly believe in is Karma although I don't believe in it's often accompanied Dharma, that is because it just don't fit into my point of view, but Karma does.

A lot of people tend to get a bit surprised when I tell them that I believe in karma, I'm a full fledged Swede so they just assume I'm atheistic or something, not influenced by Hindu religion.

Does any other believe in karma? Just curious. Smile

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2011, 11:39 PM by eliasfrost.)
04-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

Jedi,

Nah really I don't care too much.

Human behavior is much more interesting than religion for me. It explains a lot of the more unusual traits of some religions although naturally I'm not going to offend anyone by specifying.

We'll see what happens when we die though.

So long as I go out like a total badass then everything's fine.

For anyone concerned about losing a cherished calculator or washing machine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Heaven
04-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(04-16-2011, 05:25 PM)Lee Wrote: I definitely wouldn't indoctrinate my potential kids like my parents tried to do with me.

I don't think it's possible not impress your beliefs into your kids.

Anyway, I would very loosely say I'm a theosophical christian. I live a block away from a large church emblazoned with a rainbow banner saying 'come as you are', so I am assured there is not absolute anti-homosexual solidarity among my kind.
04-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

I don't classify myself under any particular sect or group, but if I had to give myself a label I'd be an 'eclectic alchemist', with emphasis on "eclectic".

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
04-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Find
Matthias Steel Offline

Threads: 9

yeah i don't really classify myself under a sect either if you would call atheism a sect. i'm very eclectic as well by the way, i would say i'm an atheist because i don't believe in one so called all powerful, all mighty omnipotent "god" that created earth and life. i'm more partial to ancient views which of course are way older than Christianity that living gods who came down from the "heavens" created man such as gods like Ahura Mazda who gave man technology and knowledge and the god Anu which literally translates to sky-god. i believe that ancient man had more knowledge about the cosmos and how life truly originated. modern religion is mostly based on fear not on actual evidence. ancient man left evidence about there beliefs and all cultures around the world have a god coming down from the sky in there religious texts and in there legends. if you look at the writings of the ancient sumerians for example (who are the first civilization to develop writing) they talk about living gods who created man in jars and that those gods gave man the intellectual knowledge to become like the gods who created them. i basically don't believe in any modern man made religion. i believe the only religion that was true that human being can understand is now lost to the sands of time.

"He rides the wind on silent wings lazerbeams ripping steel, Black helicopters go up in flames before they know that he's real"
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2011, 03:59 AM by Matthias Steel.)
04-17-2011, 03:50 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(04-17-2011, 12:07 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 05:25 PM)Lee Wrote: I definitely wouldn't indoctrinate my potential kids like my parents tried to do with me.

Anyway, I would very loosely say I'm a theosophical christian. I live a block away from a large church emblazoned with a rainbow banner saying 'come as you are', so I am assured there is not absolute anti-homosexual solidarity among my kind.

It's not that I don't realize there are people who accept gays. It's that I realize that they just seem to try to ignore the parts of the Bible that yell at you for being different in ways such as:
being gay
getting haircuts
not circumcising your slaves
and so on.

I have other, much bigger reasons, but I have to say, the whole "they don't like me" one is the easiest to spout out.

Anyway, yeah, it will be impossible for me to not impress my beliefs on my kids, but indoctrination is different from education. They can have whatever religion they want and I won't hold anything against them, but regardless of how much you circumcise, baptize, or dress up that little baby, he was born an atheist. If you have a religion, it should be because you've found it, not because someone fed it to you.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Website Find
Som1Lse Offline

Christian, to some degree.

I don't directly believe in God as a "god", but neither do I believe that everything can be explained with science (at least what we know of now).
For example:
We know everything consists of molecules and they consist of atoms.
How were they created then.
Nothing can be created out of nothing.

The reason, why I am really a christian is simply just moral.
The "fact" that Jesus helped people although they weren't christians and that he sacrificed himself for others.
Although those might not be true, I believe that helping others, although they might not share the same opinions as you, is a good thing to do.

Thus I am also quite neutral when it comes to other cultures.
04-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(04-17-2011, 12:43 PM)Lee Wrote: If you have a religion, it should be because you've found it, not because someone fed it to you.

I'd kneel before you.

04-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Website Find
Matthias Steel Offline

(04-17-2011, 12:43 PM)Lee Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 12:07 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote:

It's not that I don't realize there are people who accept gays. It's that I realize that they just seem to try to ignore the parts of the Bible that yell at you for being different in ways such as:
being gay
getting haircuts
not circumcising your slaves
and so on.

I have other, much bigger reasons, but I have to say, the whole "they don't like me" one is the easiest to spout out.

Anyway, yeah, it will be impossible for me to not impress my beliefs on my kids, but indoctrination is different from education. They can have whatever religion they want and I won't hold anything against them, but regardless of how much you circumcise, baptize, or dress up that little baby, he was born an atheist. If you have a religion, it should be because you've found it, not because someone fed it to you.

well the bible is a very hypocritical book, for one example it says in the bible that homosexuality is against gods creation yet god created homosexual people. why would god create a being which can NEVER go to heaven because you can't repent for something you cannot change no matter how hard you pray and plead, that goes against everything that christians believe which is if you repent you will go to heaven but gay people can't repent for something that they have no control over. the christian bible was not meant to be taken seriously it's a book that contains many passages written in various times, most of which were written long after jesus had "returned to heaven in his mortal body". and i most certainly agree with you about finding a religion on your own terms and not having someone else tell you what to believe. to me people who follow a religion are just scarred and don't really follow a religion for true reasons other than they think that when they die theres another life waiting for them.

"He rides the wind on silent wings lazerbeams ripping steel, Black helicopters go up in flames before they know that he's real"
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM by Matthias Steel.)
04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Find