Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Game Developer: Where to start
resell4 Offline

Threads: 6
Game Developer: Where to start

Im asking the Frictional Games team, and im asking the rest of you developers!
I know quite lot of C++ and im wondering a few questions about head into the world of game development, Im gona ask a few questions, but feel free to add more helpfull information Smile

I would also mention that i will be working with Windows, because when i wana start out and learn with Mac i already so quite alot and wont need that much help.

@ What grapich library should i start out with / Learn for future development?

@ What compiler should i be using for learning?

@ Should i start with 2D development? Or head into 3D right away and learn there?
If so, should i take SDL? Or maby Allegro?

@ Where should i start? By mastering the compiler? Or mastering one of the graphic libraries? Or maby start out with an easy game engine (if there even exist such a thing as an easy game engine..)

@ Where is a good place for ressources, maby a good forum for help and inspiration?

@ Maby i should buy a good book from Amazon?

@ Any experience the developers in Frictional Games would like to share, Anythin that nagged into your skulls? Or maby something you would have changed when learning. Or maby a personal story how you got into game developement?

Phew! That was quite a few questions, and i hope some of you would like to answer some of them Smile

Thanks Smile
- Resell4
04-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
RE: Game Developer: Where to start

it all depends on if you want make focus on making games, or just on learning coding.

For making games, use some engine like Unity. Make simple games where you can make as much by yourself.

If you want to learn coding, start learning DirectX or perhaps XNA. Starting to do a graphics engine is not a bad place as there is so much involved that you will automatically have to learn tons of stuff. I would say start with some 2D stuff so you learn the basics and then move on to 3D.

There is so much much to learn, that it is really hard to say where to start. But I think the best advice is to try and do stuff that you are the most interested in, that way you will be more motivated.

Also, keep it small, and do not start out trying to take over the world. Wait a year or two for that Wink
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

My experience was started on 2D games, after working many different types of 2D games I switched to 2.5D games, and finally 3D games. Still working on 3D because it's way harder than 2 & 2.5Ds. So far, my coding skills made a huge progress while I learned a lot about graphic world and how it works.

You can go for Android/iOS market by learning Qt, which is quite popular, or use Java and stick to Android beside Win/Mac/Lin, etc.

If you know what to do you can beat Frictional, or like me, work under the hood Big Grin

04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Website Find
resell4 Offline

Threads: 6

Ok thanks
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM by resell4.)
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Find