Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Exporting animations from maya [solved] look here!
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
Exporting animations from maya [solved] look here!

New issue:
Some of us have sucessfully imported the animations to 3ds max, and can play them there. However when exporting them and viewing them in modelview issues arise. Maya also seems to have some problems with the animations.

We are looking for help from the devs, information on how & what program(s) was/were used to make the animations.

Refer to page 3 for further information on the discussion.

---------------------------------------------- old part ---------------------------------------------------
Hi! I'm out fumbling in the dark. I realise this is a question with an answer of large content, but if people with knowledge could point me to tutorials describing the general execution as well as describing specifics concerning amnesia modeling in particular that would be very helpful.

I'm trying to create a monster with new animations. I have tried out 3ds max, installing collada and opening the grunt model in 3ds. But I don't know how to continue.

Second question, is it easy to replace the mesh/texture/skin of the model or somehow edit it?

Should I consider editing in an other program because it's more simple or should I take my time to learn 3ds max?

EDIT: Is it possible to have more than the original number of enemies or does my new one have to replace the old grunt?

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2011, 01:27 AM by Acies.)
04-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Editing animations of enemies

You can have as many enemies as you want. If you want to see the grunt animations, you need to rename the dae_anim files to dae, and then open them to see that specific animation.

The mesh you can make small tweaks using different tools in 3ds max, like the new polygon graphite tools in 3ds. The texture, well you'll need to edit the texture, and have some experience with interpreting UV maps.
04-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Find
nkmol Offline

Threads: 19

i think i already readed a tuturiol about this, hmmm. (though to lazy to search for)
My problem whith this was, that my 3DS max didn't loaded the .dae animation like it suppose to be Tongue it was all mixed up, he was moving like a ... doll that's dancing whith his arms :S
anyway, i didn't try this whith blender or maya Tongue
anyone got this problem too? (this is only whith animation, normal .dae works fine Wink)
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM by nkmol.)
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Thank you MrBigzy. However, I didn't see an animation. Merely a grunt standing still in the middle of movement.

Guess I'll have to spend time learning 3ds max. Something I've always wanted, but a bit tedious.

What do I need to do to add a new enemy? I copied & renamed all the files in the grunt folder, but it does not show up as a new pickable enemy in the level editor.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM by Acies.)
04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Find
nkmol Offline

try to rename it whith the model editor. So open the original monster that you want to edit in the model editor and Save As a new name .
04-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Didn't work, can't see the difference Smile Have you gotten it to work nkmol?

04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Find
nkmol Offline

well i made a new monster, yes. i openend model editor and edited my monster. I just added some light to the monster Tongue and then i saved it as the name of the other files. started my level editor again and it was in my entities list Smile
[Image: unled1ec.png]

[Image: unleduc.png]
04-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

The tutorial for creating new models is here: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...loutsource

Also, you first have to open the model in the model viewer to make a .mat file, and then import it into the model editor to create the mesh file. And then you have to set the variables and/or body in the model editor.

Also, did you press the play button in 3ds max on the bottom right for the animations?
04-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Thank you both. Now I'll try some stuff and see what I come up with. As you may well notice I have little clue of what I am doing in 3ds max. If it doesn't solve itself from here its due to my lack of knowledge of how to use 3ds and then I'll resort to tutorials.

You appear to be knowledgeable of 3ds MrBigzy, so would it be okay if I pmed you if I got stuck?

04-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Sure. I really don't know a whole lot yet, just basic modelling and UV maps and materials. But I learn quick. xD
04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Find