Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Do the servants in Amnesia actually look like that or is it Daniel's sanity?
D3AD UPR1S1NG Offline

Threads: 21
Do the servants in Amnesia actually look like that or is it Daniel's sanity?

Well I was thinking since I have read on the storyline of the Justine DLC and found out on there that the monsters are just Justine's mental issues and I was wandering could the grunt and brute be just hallucinations because on one of the notes I think you find in the northern cell block describes the servants as sulking but he doesn't describe there deformed faces or anything so I thought it might just be his sanity considering what he's been through, any ideas?
04-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40
RE: Do the servants in Amnesia actually look like that or is it Daniel's sanity?

I don't think that his sanity creatures got claws that can actually hit u. haha Tongue

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

04-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Find
D3AD UPR1S1NG Offline

RE: Do the servants in Amnesia actually look like that or is it Daniel's sanity?

(04-20-2011, 08:23 PM)ferryadams10 Wrote: I don't think that his sanity creatures got claws that can actually hit u. haha Tongue

well if you put it that way lol Smile
04-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Find
DarkShadow2401 Offline

Threads: 0

I think they really look like that, when you read about Wilhelm and his men it talks about how they appear to be changing after drinking the wine. And for the servants sulking I just assumed that's all Daniel could see was the outline of them where they appear to be sulking, due to the fact that it was kept dark in the castle.
04-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Find
vergilmaycry Offline

Threads: 1

(04-20-2011, 10:07 PM)DarkShadow2401 Wrote: I think they really look like that, when you read about Wilhelm and his men it talks about how they appear to be changing after drinking the wine. And for the servants sulking I just assumed that's all Daniel could see was the outline of them where they appear to be sulking, due to the fact that it was kept dark in the castle.

I might be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that they died of poisoning, and the changing (I assumed) to be metaphorical for pain/etc from the poisoned wine. I think that the servants could or could not be monsters, since sane Daniel mentioned finding them creepy (supporting hallucinations), but Alexander referred to 'making' more servants as well (monsters).
04-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Find
DarkShadow2401 Offline

(04-21-2011, 01:07 AM)vergilmaycry Wrote:
(04-20-2011, 10:07 PM)DarkShadow2401 Wrote: I think they really look like that, when you read about Wilhelm and his men it talks about how they appear to be changing after drinking the wine. And for the servants sulking I just assumed that's all Daniel could see was the outline of them where they appear to be sulking, due to the fact that it was kept dark in the castle.

I might be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that they died of poisoning, and the changing (I assumed) to be metaphorical for pain/etc from the poisoned wine. I think that the servants could or could not be monsters, since sane Daniel mentioned finding them creepy (supporting hallucinations), but Alexander referred to 'making' more servants as well (monsters).

One of Alexander's notes mentions his fear of Wilhelm betraying and that his servants were being killed, and says by feeding them wine it would solve both his problems. Killing them wouldn't have gotten him more servants, but changing them into monsters that he controls would solve both problems.
04-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

They do actually look like that

And the sulking servants may have been normal humans then, and were only transformed into hideous monsters later

Quote:monsters are just Justine's mental issues

Where did you come up with that? The monsters from my understanding are her suitors, whom she did nasty things to, if they were hallucinations they couldn't kill her, and they definitely can kill her
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2011, 03:20 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
04-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Website Find
Urzaran Offline

(04-21-2011, 02:31 AM)DarkShadow2401 Wrote:

One of Alexander's notes mentions his fear of Wilhelm betraying and that his servants were being killed, and says by feeding them wine it would solve both his problems. Killing them wouldn't have gotten him more servants, but changing them into monsters that he controls would solve both problems.

I think he's referring to the king's men as part of the problem, and that giving Wilhelm and his men poisoned wine and killing them would solve both problems, since there would be no way the men would speak of what had transpired within the castle walls. Plus, you see them all scattered in pieces within the room, so there would be no identifiable corpses, should the king's men want to search within. In addition, the flashback had a part where it indeed sounded like one of the men bursting and scattering his innards all over the floor.

However, given the circumstances, it could entirely be possible that Wilhelm and his men were indeed those monstrosities that pursued you throughout the course of the game. There wasn't an entirely clear explanation of what these things were, just bits and pieces from several different sources, much of it adding to little more than hearsay. The fact that the monsters/servants were unexplained added to the mystery; and as we all know, fear is in the unknown.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2011, 03:29 AM by Urzaran.)
04-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Find
DarkShadow2401 Offline

(04-21-2011, 03:22 AM)Urzaran Wrote:

I think he's referring to the king's men as part of the problem, and that giving Wilhelm and his men poisoned wine and killing them would solve both problems, since there would be no way the men would speak of what had transpired within the castle walls. Plus, you see them all scattered in pieces within the room, so there would be no identifiable corpses, should the king's men want to search within. In addition, the flashback had a part where it indeed sounded like one of the men bursting and scattering his innards all over the floor.

However, given the circumstances, it could entirely be possible that Wilhelm and his men were indeed those monstrosities that pursued you throughout the course of the game. There wasn't an entirely clear explanation of what these things were, just bits and pieces from several different sources, much of it adding to little more than hearsay. The fact that the monsters/servants were unexplained added to the mystery; and as we all know, fear is in the unknown.

Quote: "Our basic story designs only referred to the enemies as “the servants” and did not talk much about their appearance or where they came from, so I had a lot of freedom to make a fitting background story to the guidelines. The finalized idea was that these “servants” were actually beings from beyond that had been summoned into bodies of humans. Once inside humans, they did their best to deform the host into a body that they are used to control, shattering bones, tearing flesh and producing cancer-like growths. This in turned resulted in a scene where the player witness how some humans under great pain are taken over, showing how designing graphics can shape the story, as well as the reverse."
04-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Find
Urzaran Offline

(04-21-2011, 03:54 AM)DarkShadow2401 Wrote:
(04-21-2011, 03:22 AM)Urzaran Wrote:

Quote: "Our basic story designs only referred to the enemies as “the servants” and did not talk much about their appearance or where they came from, so I had a lot of freedom to make a fitting background story to the guidelines. The finalized idea was that these “servants” were actually beings from beyond that had been summoned into bodies of humans. Once inside humans, they did their best to deform the host into a body that they are used to control, shattering bones, tearing flesh and producing cancer-like growths. This in turned resulted in a scene where the player witness how some humans under great pain are taken over, showing how designing graphics can shape the story, as well as the reverse."

Spoiler below!
If that is the case, perhaps the wine was some sort of potion that allowed these beings to inhabit Wilhelm and his men, then.
04-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Find