Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Need a Good story to go with my custom story.
SkyeGU Offline

Threads: 1
RE: I Need a Good story to go with my custom story.

In addition, think back to the original Amnesia story and what scared you most while you were playing. Anything unexpected or unusual can cause serious fright in a player, and the unknown is your best friend.

A simple journal can cause immense trauma. In Subterranea, for example, there is a note that reads "We've barely managed to lock the monster in a closet..." and as you enter the area, you realize that there are CLOSETS EVERYWHERE. The terrifying possibility that the next closet you open could contain a monster really made the atmosphere in that custom story. So think of things like this. What could have happened to make a scary situation? Did someone die? Did something from a far off place appear and start killing everyone? Is there an orb that some crazed old man is trying to use to escape into another dimension (Alexander!)? It can be easy to think of scares and then build your story off of them.

Scares need reasons to be happening.

I'm quite sure that many of us are willing to chat with you and discuss possibilities for your story. However I, as many others have responded similarly, have no desire to simply give over a story idea (plus, they're usually not so easy to throw out. They're tough stuff). If you'll engage us in a good mannered discussion, I and most others will (probably) happily (or terrifyingly) discuss how a story could come together to meet your needs. Pull the sarcasm, and we'll all fade away.
04-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Find
Lexander.R Offline

Threads: 1

(02-20-2011, 04:07 AM)meow0369 Wrote: bug fix ftw

(04-23-2011, 08:01 PM)Kyle Wrote:
(04-23-2011, 05:18 PM)Lexander.R Wrote: K, i agree with you guys, i'll get 'inspiration' from other books and *cough* other custom stories *cough* *cough*

Hey, watch it buddy. Ima gonna have to keep an eye on you. Dodgy

Tongue
[/quote]

(04-23-2011, 09:18 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: If I have a brain wave I'll come up with something, but it'd probably require that you come up with your own new monsters or something lol

I write stories a lot, but at the moment for horror?

No inspiration

Quote:dude! just think of something by ur own.

if u're not creative u can't make the story at all.

As stated before, I write stories, a lot, so I'm plenty creative, not being able to think of anything off the top of your head doesn't mean you're not creative, and that you can't make a story

Even then, anything I just said is beside the point when you consider that whether you feel that he's creative and can't do it or not, you should still be supportive imo

Not trying to get on your case or be a jerk or anything, just saying
Thankyou for making that point. I am creative and i can make good maps, i just cant think of a good story from the top of my head.
[/quote]

(04-23-2011, 09:50 PM)laser50 Wrote:
(04-23-2011, 05:18 PM)Lexander.R Wrote: K, i agree with you guys, i'll get 'inspiration' from other books and *cough* other custom stories *cough* *cough*

I know that trying to be sarcastic failed for you at this point.
Really?
[/quote]

I also have problems with making a nice story. But as soon as you get a good location and start making parts of your map, You get a story eventually.

In the beginning of my new story, I had completely NO idea what to make. So i began to make a little Hotel-Like place. And came up with it being haunted. From there i began my story.

It's not hard to make a good story, just Follow 3 steps:
1. The Location: Where is it? In a castle? A Mansion? Prison?
2. Begin Building a simple start on your map.
3. Look for possibilities to make a good story on. From there, you just continue to expand.
[/quote]
Hmmm. I guess i'll try that. Ive already got a location Smile
(04-24-2011, 09:36 AM)Lexander.R Wrote:
(02-20-2011, 04:07 AM)meow0369 Wrote: bug fix ftw

(04-23-2011, 08:01 PM)Kyle Wrote:

Hey, watch it buddy. Ima gonna have to keep an eye on you. Dodgy

Tongue

(04-23-2011, 09:18 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: If I have a brain wave I'll come up with something, but it'd probably require that you come up with your own new monsters or something lol

I write stories a lot, but at the moment for horror?

No inspiration

Quote:dude! just think of something by ur own.

if u're not creative u can't make the story at all.

As stated before, I write stories, a lot, so I'm plenty creative, not being able to think of anything off the top of your head doesn't mean you're not creative, and that you can't make a story

Even then, anything I just said is beside the point when you consider that whether you feel that he's creative and can't do it or not, you should still be supportive imo

Not trying to get on your case or be a jerk or anything, just saying
Thankyou for making that point. I am creative and i can make good maps, i just cant think of a good story from the top of my head.
[/quote]

(04-23-2011, 09:50 PM)laser50 Wrote:

I know that trying to be sarcastic failed for you at this point.
Really?
[/quote]

I also have problems with making a nice story. But as soon as you get a good location and start making parts of your map, You get a story eventually.

In the beginning of my new story, I had completely NO idea what to make. So i began to make a little Hotel-Like place. And came up with it being haunted. From there i began my story.

It's not hard to make a good story, just Follow 3 steps:
1. The Location: Where is it? In a castle? A Mansion? Prison?
2. Begin Building a simple start on your map.
3. Look for possibilities to make a good story on. From there, you just continue to expand.
[/quote]
Hmmm. I guess i'll try that. Ive already got a location Smile
[/quote]
the quoting was messed up for this post :|
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 09:37 AM by Lexander.R.)
04-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Find
Rigi Offline

Threads: 2

I find that a good way to come up with an idea is to think of some core fear that most humans share, or something that's recognizably unethical that you can twist a story around. Build said story over it, and there ya go.

I tend to start with smaller concepts, ways to mess with the player or ways to scare them, and see how well I can work a story around that.
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Find