Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texture Stretching
Dominic0904 Offline

Threads: 14
Texture Stretching

Hey everyone,

New on the forums AND the editor. I am just trying to get the hang of it, seems simple to use from what I can see so far. But I got a problem and I don't know if this is just how the editor is or if there is a way around it.

When I was going through the basic tutorial on the wiki: (http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_1)

and I got to the part where it tells me that I can scale and rotate the walls before placing them. Now when I place a wall down and scale it, the textures stretch to a point which they become very ugly and well...stretched.

Now I don't know if this is something that I need to fix myself or change a setting in the editor but I would like to know please Smile. I searched the forums for this and could not finding, even goggling did nothing.

And this could be because I am so new to this editor or not. (I've used Hammer for my Uni assignment once and really liked it a lot).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. The way you rotate and move about the area is exactly how you would move around in Maya! haha neat!
04-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Texture Stretching

(04-27-2011, 12:37 AM)Dominic0904 Wrote: Hey everyone,

New on the forums AND the editor. I am just trying to get the hang of it, seems simple to use from what I can see so far. But I got a problem and I don't know if this is just how the editor is or if there is a way around it.

When I was going through the basic tutorial on the wiki: (http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_1)

and I got to the part where it tells me that I can scale and rotate the walls before placing them. Now when I place a wall down and scale it, the textures stretch to a point which they become very ugly and well...stretched.

Now I don't know if this is something that I need to fix myself or change a setting in the editor but I would like to know please Smile. I searched the forums for this and could not finding, even goggling did nothing.

And this could be because I am so new to this editor or not. (I've used Hammer for my Uni assignment once and really liked it a lot).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. The way you rotate and move about the area is exactly how you would move around in Maya! haha neat!

Click on the wall that is scretched and unstretch it to it's original shape from when you placed it into the editor. On the right, it should say under "Scale" x = 1, y = 1, and z = 1. You need to place multiple walls to make a room. Once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy making rooms. Then you clutter it with entities and the like. To copy an object, like a wall, you can go to "edit" at the top of the screen and click "duplicate". If you notice right next to where it says dulplicate, there is a shortcut to duplicating an object. The shortcut is "ctrl-d". So to duplicate with the shortcut, click on the object and hold "ctrl" and then press d. When you duplicate it, if you move the object, you'll notice that there is now 2 of the same objects.

Remember that I'm always here to help you. Smile

04-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Find
Dominic0904 Offline

(04-27-2011, 12:49 AM)Kyle Wrote: Click on the wall that is scretched and unstretch it to it's original shape from when you placed it into the editor. On the right, it should say under "Scale" x = 1, y = 1, and z = 1. You need to place multiple walls to make a room. Once you get the hang of it, you'll enjoy making rooms. Then you clutter it with entities and the like. To copy an object, like a wall, you can go to "edit" at the top of the screen and click "duplicate". If you notice right next to where it says dulplicate, there is a shortcut to duplicating an object. The shortcut is "ctrl-d". So to duplicate with the shortcut, click on the object and hold "ctrl" and then press d. When you duplicate it, if you move the object, you'll notice that there is now 2 of the same objects.

Remember that I'm always here to help you. Smile

Thanks for that! But when I say place a wall down ((In this case I was using the "castlebase - Wall= default" in static_objects)) the textures do not line up properly, you can see the difference between the walls. Here's a image to show you what I mean.

[Image: texturelineup.jpg]

See? That's what I mean, the textures do not match up so it looks like one wall. I place the walls right next to each other, not one grid space inside the other wall or away from it. So I dunno if this is just how THIS and OTHER walls are created and need to be fixed, or is there a way around this as well? Cause I don't want this happening all the time ((I am using this editor for another University Assignment))
04-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

I see what you are talking about, when I first tried the editor, I had the exact problem and thought it couldn't be fixed. It was until I dove deeper into the editor and found my solution. Under "static objects", "castlebase", "wall", there is an object called "welder", which 'welds' the walls together. you place a welder onto the walls and it covers up the issue. Just make sure you don't overlap walls or leave spaces inbetween them. Also keep the welder even on both sides. The other object, "welder_convex", obviously welds convex walls together.

04-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

Some wall types were designed to have a seamless texture between ends, some weren't. If you think people will probably notice it, then yea, you should put welders in them.
04-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Find
Dominic0904 Offline

Ah that's awesome! I guess I should have went more into the tutorial before posting this! Thanks again for the info!

Do all types of wall have welders? Like say "mansionbase" and so on.
04-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Yes, most of them. You can easily look them up and find them under each category.

04-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Find
Ongka Offline

Threads: 3

(04-27-2011, 12:02 PM)Dominic0904 Wrote: Ah that's awesome! I guess I should have went more into the tutorial before posting this! Thanks again for the info!

Do all types of wall have welders? Like say "mansionbase" and so on.

Yes, but in mansionbase you only have to place them into corners.

[Image: 18694.png]
04-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Find