Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Voice Acting
Karai16 Offline

Threads: 24
RE: Voice Acting

(04-28-2011, 05:39 AM)Xss Wrote:
Rigi Wrote:Yeah, that's part of the reason that I wish there was a cache of voice actors in this. A group of people that are reliable for providing that voice when you need it.

Well, I am not going to say that I am a voice actor since...I've never done any voice work, and hence don't know if I could be good at it or not (the little experience I had was at an acting class in college...Not mentioning my accent). Now I would love to do some voice acting, so if some of you need some voices for their custom stories I won't mind giving it a try (worst case scenario being simply not using my voice Big Grin).

same thing here, although I'll say I actually did do a voice acting class, but we'll simply have to see how it works out. People who need voiceactors could simply do something like holding a audition on this forum...

Custom stories:
Her Games (100% Complete)
Her Games, All Bugs Fixed (100% Complete)
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I'm suggesting that a "Talent thread" should be made. People on this forum who may have skills reaching beyond mapmaking & scripting as well as the will to partake in projects could sign up there. Thread start should be an updated list, something like:

Story writers:
name1 - available
name2 - working on the village

Voice actors:
(Male) name3 - working on abduction
(Female) name4 - available

Etc. including 3d modelers, art creators (loading screens?) and whatever talent needed for a custom story. This would make it easier to create teams of storybuilders - if there was a giant, gathered thread for talent searching.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Find
ThePaSch Offline

Threads: 11

I included voice acting in my WIP custom story (that was abandoned for a while, but now I'm working on it again).
Then someone (awesome) made fun of it. Sad

But I really went a little bit overboard with it. Big Grin
So in my case, it took away.
04-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Find
Karai16 Offline

I like Acies idea... I could work on the thread, it won't take too long. But I'll need to have names... and of course, what you do..

Custom stories:
04-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Find
Rigi Offline

Threads: 2

A talent thread is a great idea, though it would probably have to be a sticky. I know that on a roleplay forum I frequent, there is one of those for our roleplay preferences. Also, almost everyone who put their preferences in that thread has a link to their specific post in their signature for easy reference. Having a talent thread where we listed and described our skills ( and then had links in our signatures) would not only be great for when people need to look for talent or find someone that can offer advice/help out for these custom stories but would also mean that we'd see a lot more collaboration, which is always nice.
04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Find
Karai16 Offline

(04-28-2011, 07:24 PM)ThePaSch Wrote: I included voice acting in my WIP custom story (that was abandoned for a while, but now I'm working on it again).
Then someone (awesome) made fun of it. Sad

But I really went a little bit overboard with it. Big Grin
So in my case, it took away.

you know, sometimes the simplest things can already make voice acting better. Like taking out the noise with Audacity, or actually singing everyday just for fun. Singing will help you increase your vocalcords' capability.

Custom stories:
04-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

Karai16 Wrote:or actually singing everyday just for fun. Singing will help you increase your vocalcords' capability.

I agree. While singing won't really help for the acting part (the rhythm of a sentence, the tone and emotions one wishes to convey), it will definitely help for the rest. I have been taking singing lessons for more than a year, and while I am still a rather poor singer due to my lack of practice and overall skills with singing, many singing techniques are also used by actors, and even teachers (which I have been for the past 2 years: you want students sitting at the far end of the class to hear you without you damaging your voice in one hour! And still, sometimes my throat is on fire by the end of a one hour class). Heck, why can many actors also sing without too much problem? They've learned it in the voice acting lessons. Big Grin
Not mentioning that for some works one will need some techniques: want to do a raspy voice for hours without hurting yourself? You'll have to master healthy distortion/saturation/whatever used in rock, metal, etc (Trekkie from Avenue Q anyone?).
The simple fact of talking for hours can be a challenge itself. Professional voice artists (whether they are singers, actors, dubbers, etc...) are like professional sport-persons in my opinion.
One of my life-dreams would be to master many of those techniques to be able to create many kinds of voices. Big Grin Yeah, pretty useless for the everyday-dude, but well.
04-29-2011, 03:58 AM
Find