Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Voice Acting
Rigi Offline

Threads: 2
Voice Acting

What are your thoughts on voice acting in Custom Stories? Does it add, does it take away? What do you think the problems with voice acting in a lot of these stories is?

/discussion
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Find
Mofo Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Voice Acting

It should only be done if you have a good microphone and a decent voice actor. IMHO text messages are always better then bad audio and crappy acting.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM by Mofo.)
04-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Find
Karai16 Offline

Threads: 24

I agree with Mofo, but I also think that you should be able to use basic tricks, like getting out the noise with audacity or like me, doing a basic voiceacting course

Custom stories:
Her Games (100% Complete)
Her Games, All Bugs Fixed (100% Complete)
04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Find
Rigi Offline

Yeah, there's something that I can agree with. I mean, I myself can act, and I can probably kidnap my father's professional music recording device to use for the recording, which makes it much better.

I mean, I'm surprised that this place hasn't developed it's own cache of voice actors yet. Without a doubt, having a group of people that are known for good acting and sound quality could really, really help.
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I believe that voice acting is a vital part of any good story. Playing a game you are limited to 2 of the 5 senses. Why suppress one of the only two given?

(04-27-2011, 06:28 PM)Mofo Wrote: It should only be done if you have a good microphone and a decent voice actor. IMHO text messages are always better then bad audio and crappy acting.

I disagree. Cutting out voice acting completely from a story is a bad choice. One simply has to choose good situations to use it. Perhaps some of that "low quality" voice acting does not fit long monologues, but can be used in other ways to create an intriguing atmosphere in a story.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Find
Rigi Offline

You know, it's strange, but it is true that stories can effectively be narrated with only notes and journals and such. However, it depends entirely on the type of story.
04-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(04-28-2011, 12:25 AM)Rigi Wrote: You know, it's strange, but it is true that stories can effectively be narrated with only notes and journals and such. However, it depends entirely on the type of story.

Yes of course it is possible. However, when I was mapmaking I often stumbled upon the issue of not having the possibility to include voice acting. I myself am a poor voice actor and even if I was to use my own voice, I couldn't possibly fill all the voice acting roles required. To summarize it, I felt a need for voice acting in the story I was making.

I'd guess it depends on how you plan to build your story. I wanted more interaction with other characters, as opposed to the amnesia singelplayer campaign.. And notes/writing isn't going to cut it there.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2011, 12:51 AM by Acies.)
04-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Find
Rigi Offline

Yeah, that's part of the reason that I wish there was a cache of voice actors in this. A group of people that are reliable for providing that voice when you need it.
04-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Find
Russ Money Offline

Threads: 25

(04-28-2011, 12:56 AM)Rigi Wrote: Yeah, that's part of the reason that I wish there was a cache of voice actors in this. A group of people that are reliable for providing that voice when you need it.

Best option, use friends and family that can.

04-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Find
Xss Offline

Threads: 4

Rigi Wrote:Yeah, that's part of the reason that I wish there was a cache of voice actors in this. A group of people that are reliable for providing that voice when you need it.

Well, I am not going to say that I am a voice actor since...I've never done any voice work, and hence don't know if I could be good at it or not (the little experience I had was at an acting class in college...Not mentioning my accent). Now I would love to do some voice acting, so if some of you need some voices for their custom stories I won't mind giving it a try (worst case scenario being simply not using my voice Big Grin).
04-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Find