Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My run of the ice lake (spoilers)
Jetsetlemming Offline

Threads: 5
My run of the ice lake (spoilers)

This thread is about a moment late in the game, so if you don't know what I'm referring to, don't read on. Wink

I was having an AWEFULLY hard time getting over the underground ice lake in Penumbra: Overture. The boards were being a pain to manuever, the ice kept breaking at the littlest contact, and I was spending more time looking at the loading screen than playing the game. I was on the verge of giving up for the day when I decided to just pull back an experiment, and this is what I came up with.
http://files.filefront.com/Penumbra_ice_...einfo.html
That's a video of me running across the ice, without any use of boards or other help, across and back.
First, I'm kinda disappointed at how annoying the controls were at that moment, and how I had to rely to a less-than-intelligenet solution to my problem. However, kudos to Frictional, intentionally or unintentionally, for leaving this path of solution to the ice lake a possibility. Tongue Hopefully for episode 2 you'll have better refined the controls for interacting with movable items.
In the mean time, I hope you guys find this at least entertaining, or helpful if you're stuck at this part.
Note: This was recorded in gamecam on it's default settings, so there's no sound and the color is for some reason in sepia, but it's passable and you can clearly see what I do in it. ^^; Hopefully I can figure out this program better...

edit: Stupid Filefront. It has some weird streaming video thing for my file to let users watch it in a flash ala Youtube instead of downloading it, and it comes out scrambled somehow. :| Don't bother with the streaming flash thing, download the real file. It works fine in both VLC and WMP, dunno what is wrong with filefront's video player.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2007, 04:40 AM by Gzy.)
04-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Find
barf0r Offline

Threads: 1
RE: My run of the ice lake (spoilers)

I didn't break the ice once going over or back.

What did you use? I smashed up the hut and took two big boards from that.
04-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

I used.. my feet. O_o as you can see from the video. I just ran across and jumped from broken piece to broken piece across the ice in about 30 seconds.
And there are more than 2 boards from breaking the hut, you get six, two from each enclosed side. I think you might be able to smash the roof as well, never bothered to try. I couldn't get teh board placing right, I kept accidentally stepping on the ice. I just decided to attempt to run across without bothering with the boards after discovering you can stand on the big broken pieces of ice without worry because they float.
04-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Find
ShadowMan Offline

I never even attempted to use the boards. XD Go running!
04-02-2007, 04:09 AM
Find
Jojje Offline

Threads: 6

I smashed up the ice with the pickaxe and just bunnyhopped over.
04-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

when i trie to see the vid i only see garbage, what codec did you used?
i havent installed divx(probably you used it, no?) but then i would not see anything

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Find
Willbreaker Offline

Threads: 6

Jojje Wrote:I smashed up the ice with the pickaxe and just bunnyhopped over.

So did I, it worked perfectly.

/Breaker
04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Find
Jetsetlemming Offline

Dark_Raver Wrote:when i trie to see the vid i only see garbage, what codec did you used?
i havent installed divx(probably you used it, no?) but then i would not see anything

Did you actually download the video file? The flash streaming video thing from filefront doesn't work. I haven't encoded or changed the video in any way, it's in the format Gamecam recorded it in. I've tested it in VLC media player and Windows Media player and it runs fine in both. I have no extra video or audio codecs installed on my computer (not even DivX, as VLC can play those natively without a seperate codec) and it worked fine in both media players.
If you want to try VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ I really recommend it. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM by Gzy.)
04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Find
Dark Offline

Threads: 20

cant stand vlc player, dont know hwy :d

[Image: elfenliednx4.jpg]
04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

heh you are so odd, many things you dont like Tongue vlc player is the best you fool Smile
04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Website Find