Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Stephen Rimmer's Alpha Adventure [Completed] - LAST UPDATE 17TH May
cook Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Stephen Rimmer's Alpha Mail Alpha Adventure [WIP with links] - LAST UPDATE 10TH May

I'm suprised I received absolutely no negative feedback aside from this lock/etc isn't working, it took a youtube comment for someone to tell me I'm doing billboards wrong(which I instantly learned from)

Next map won't be using Justine stuff either.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011, 06:30 PM by cook.)
05-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Stephen Rimmer's Alpha Mail Alpha Adventure [WIP with links] - LAST UPDATE 10TH May

So yeah. I didn't actually play your map now (I tried it some time ago, got stuck and forgot about it), but I looked through the map editor and I'm going to give tips mainly for the atmosphere and lighting side of your story.
So first of all, the billboards. Actually I think I will do a brief tutorial on billboards somewhere here in this forum...hmm
Plains and their textures... Most importantly the cellarbase wood floor looks relatively bad when the tile amounts are at 1 experiment with the sizes and offset the edges so for example full tiles start from the walls (yeah I know its a minor thing, but still somehow it bugs me).

Lamp entities... Yes lamps have the light source added into the model already, but its small. Connecting a light into lamps helps to create a wider area of light and gives the point lights/spot lights the right color.
Then with normal maps IMO its best to always use a box light to give the area a good tone. Also if toned well it can make the darkness vision look nicer.

I think I have developed a solid list of what to do in normal rooms:

1. a very dark boxlight with color that supports the rooms color = room with only lamps, about 3parts red 1 part green and always 0 alpha (as guided in the frictional wiki). experiment!
2. Point lights and spot lights into windows (possibly multiple to create a natural look) and point lights set to pitch black connected into lamp entities (experiment with the ConnectionLightAmount). And if you wanna go right into them details, try putting the connection light amount into random lamp entities that the player could light (ever felt bad when the light you lit only covers a very small area and doesn't really help you?)
3. Billboards, if you have windows in your room (actually not necessary).
4. Decals: Use as low amount of decals as possible, I think they slow down the loading time a lot. When placing decals (actually how do they work? If someone knows how to, with 100% success rate put them into ceilings and weird places, tell me!) experiment with the alpha color, as decreasing it makes the decal appear lighter.
5. Particle effects: useful ones are for example the ps_light_dust ones and fogs (mainly for dark dungeons or something). And remember to alter their color too. Like if your rooms lighting is blueish, then of course make blueish fog!
6. Check for light leaks through walls, random buggy textures and places you could get stuck into...

PS. I have no idea how i managed to create this wall of text. I think it is not directed straight and only at you tho cook :S
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM by Khyrpa.)
05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Find
cook Offline

Fixed my billboards in the latest map I'm making, learned how to do it from the Archives - such a simple solution too.

I barely use decals, but I'll try the lamp connected light, already using the box lights if not in all levels(was experimenting on the may 10th update), also fixed the tiling on new story and I'll begin experimenting with particle fog.

Thanks.
05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Find
cook Offline

Updated the lighting/tiling on all maps, fixed some clipping errors, added detail and fixed a few bugs with monsters - this will be the final build of this map so feel free to do a full playthrough without worry of having to re-do the map.
http://www.mediafire.com/?lfs4les4g28swcs
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM by cook.)
05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Stephen Rimmer's Alpha Adventure [Completed] - LAST UPDATE 17TH May

So, in order to have it working right, I have to copy the content from the "Custom entities" folder to the Game's own entities folder? I'm just asking because other stories come with an own entities-folder in their folder for the custom-stories-folder. (folderfolderfolderfolder O_o)
05-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Find
cook Offline

(05-17-2011, 04:40 PM)bobbo Wrote: So, in order to have it working right, I have to copy the content from the "Custom entities" folder to the Game's own entities folder? I'm just asking because other stories come with an own entities-folder in their folder for the custom-stories-folder. (folderfolderfolderfolder O_o)

You only need to copy the brute file - and yes, I only suggest this way since I know it worked for a fact for me and other custom stories have advised it, if you know it works with just the custom entities folder then just leave it - you'll know if somethings gone wrong by the last map only anyway.
05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Find
drweavil Offline

Threads: 1

what the hell do i do with the 6 levers at the water monster thingy place
05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Find
cook Offline

Spoiler below!
There are 3 notes in that area, one in one of the rooms, and one on the bookshelves in the hall, and one in the level room, you need them to know the code.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2011, 06:25 PM by cook.)
05-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Find
skypeskype Offline

What Justine models does it use? I mean ... Can I play it whitout Justine?
05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Website Find
cook Offline

(05-17-2011, 07:16 PM)skypeskype Wrote: What Justine models does it use? I mean ... Can I play it whitout Justine?

Just a few statues, they effect one level(Dining Hall). I would've used the old statues but for some reason they refused to become active/inactive - the ones in the picture on the first page to be specific.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2011, 07:39 PM by cook.)
05-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Find