Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

History ? (question towards the Frictional team)
cuber3 Offline

Threads: 6
History ? (question towards the Frictional team)

I was wondering about something today.
And since you guys respond to a whole lot of topics, and have lots of experience in developing indie games, I thought I might ask you guys Wink
How did you start out developing PC games ?
I'm very interested in learning (although I know it's very hard).
I've coded a few 2D flash games, and just started learning C.
I'm not much of a graphics designer, but I like programming, so I'd like to know where you guys started off.
What and where did you learn at first, and how did you evolve to get where you're at right now ?
Which programs do you use, and what processes does an average game run through ?

Any help is more than welcome, I realise it won't be that simple, but I'd really like to gain some programming experience and work together with a few people to make something simple for starters..
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
RE: History ? (question towards the Frictional team)

Some quick answers:

I started programming over 10 years ago on a TI-83 calculator and then moved to QBasic, then a bit Pascal and then C. Using C I managed to make make two "full" games using Allegro called Project 2 and Fiend. I then moved on to C++ and that is where I am now.

If you are interested in making the games the best way is to start on small scale and then move up. I would suggest using C++, C# or Java rather than C, but it is a matter personal prefernce really. C is not as beginner as the other languages though and needs a little more lowlevel knowledge. There is a lot of differnet stuff needed when programming games and the best way to a get agrip of it is trying to do it yourself. Even if you come up with a not so good and unfinished game you still learn a lot. At least I did Smile

I also would suggest not working together with any body unless they are close friends. It is better to make it all yourself for starters, that gives you a better idea of all stuff + the project is not doomed if a guy quits. If you are not a good artist you just have use the right style to get nice graphics instead, an example is Darwinia.

Hope that help a lil bit at least.
04-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Find
cuber3 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: History ? (question towards the Frictional team)

Yup, thanks for the quick reply, that should help Smile
I'm still wondering about how to make the leap from 2D to 3D though.
And also, could you tell me which software you guys use ?
I know it's often a matter of personal taste, but I'm quite curious Smile
Oh, and you're right about Darwinia, that was such an awesomely original game Smile
04-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Find