Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Denying fear? Mind over matter? Does it work for you?
Disruption Offline

Threads: 2
Denying fear? Mind over matter? Does it work for you?

Can anyone deny the emotion of fear wile playing Amnesia? Can you just tell yourself it's just a game and refuse to be afraid? If not, what do you think it is about Amnesia that convinces our minds it's a real threat?
05-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Denying fear? Mind over matter? Does it work for you?

(05-08-2011, 12:07 AM)Disruption Wrote: Can anyone deny the emotion of fear wile playing Amnesia? Can you just tell yourself it's just a game and refuse to be afraid? If not, what do you think it is about Amnesia that convinces our minds it's a real threat?

It really depends on the person bro

For me, I actually find Amnesia horrifies, but only truly scares me in the prison
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 12:19 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Website Find
Disruption Offline

Oh, sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I was asking which people could do it and which couldn't. I wasn't asking in general.
05-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Find
tyranius Offline

Threads: 6

I certainly can't. Amnesia scared the crap out of me on my first playthrough, I tried to tell myself it was just a game but it didn't work.

Now when I play it, it still unsettles me even in the parts I KNOW there are no monsters.
05-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:Can anyone deny the emotion of fear wile playing Amnesia? Can you just tell yourself it's just a game and refuse to be afraid? If not, what do you think it is about Amnesia that convinces our minds it's a real threat?

Being helpless
05-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Website Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

The game did scare me, esp when being chased, you ACTUALLY feel panicked, which made some parts of the game really tense. But I kept going mainly because the game was fun, and the story was intriguing.
05-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

Amnesia, while being tense and having some good horror moments, didn't scare me like, say, Black Plague did. I think there was just too much familiarity, on my part, with the game's overall concepts (as Penumbra and Amnesia are similar enough in how they play).

I think it's possible for anyone to completely deny their fear when playing a horror game like this. The real question is, do we really WANT to deny that fear?
05-08-2011, 03:14 AM
Find
tyranius Offline

Threads: 6

(05-08-2011, 03:14 AM)graykin Wrote: The real question is, do we really WANT to deny that fear?

I certainly wish I could. I mean, I like being scared and all but Amnesia scared me to the point of almost quitting the game out of fear. I want to do a second playthrough (normally with these mysterious plot games, you get to understand the plot a whole lot better if you go through the game again) but I can't bring myself to do it because I know I'll have to get through the storage, the prison and the sewer again =(
05-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Find
Disruption Offline

(05-08-2011, 03:50 AM)tyranius Wrote:
(05-08-2011, 03:14 AM)graykin Wrote: The real question is, do we really WANT to deny that fear?

I certainly wish I could. I mean, I like being scared and all but Amnesia scared me to the point of almost quitting the game out of fear. I want to do a second playthrough (normally with these mysterious plot games, you get to understand the plot a whole lot better if you go through the game again) but I can't bring myself to do it because I know I'll have to get through the storage, the prison and the sewer again =(
You're braver than me. I quit the game all the time out of fear. I'm going to try to deny the fear, though.
05-08-2011, 04:14 AM
Find
GnR Offline

Threads: 5

My cousin doesn't has a problem with this game lol , plays thru it like thru mario...
05-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Find