Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Semi-Solved] Vsync
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Vsync + Fullscreen

(05-11-2011, 04:42 AM)Neosporin Wrote:
(05-11-2011, 04:33 AM)gandalf91 Wrote: Actually, Tanshaydar is correct, vsync can impact your overall framerate. Not just the maximum threshold.
On that note though, it has never caused a game of mine to be unplayable...not even remotely.

This was the case years ago. My video card is powerful enough to render frames faster than my monitor can refresh itself, so enabling vsync will not reduce my average frame rate. All that will happen is that my fps will be locked to the maximum.

But like I said, during times of heavy load when my card can't keep up with the 60FPS, then it falls behind and that is where you incur the performance hit. That is not the case here.

With that being said, that is with double-buffering. With triple buffering, that's an entire new buffer in the VRAM and then Vsync has no performance hit at all (on newer cards).

That's not how vsync works. It doesn't matter how powerful your card is. Vsync in forces your card to "wait".
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Find
Neosporin Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Vsync + Fullscreen

(05-11-2011, 12:35 PM)gandalf91 Wrote:
(05-11-2011, 04:42 AM)Neosporin Wrote:
(05-11-2011, 04:33 AM)gandalf91 Wrote: Actually, Tanshaydar is correct, vsync can impact your overall framerate. Not just the maximum threshold.
On that note though, it has never caused a game of mine to be unplayable...not even remotely.

This was the case years ago. My video card is powerful enough to render frames faster than my monitor can refresh itself, so enabling vsync will not reduce my average frame rate. All that will happen is that my fps will be locked to the maximum.

But like I said, during times of heavy load when my card can't keep up with the 60FPS, then it falls behind and that is where you incur the performance hit. That is not the case here.

With that being said, that is with double-buffering. With triple buffering, that's an entire new buffer in the VRAM and then Vsync has no performance hit at all (on newer cards).

That's not how vsync works. It doesn't matter how powerful your card is. Vsync in forces your card to "wait".

I can't believe my support thread has turned into an argument about Vsync -.-

Seeing as you're not taking my word for it, let alone doing your own research, I'll quote something from TweakGuides:

Quote:As long as your graphics card can always render a frame faster than your monitor can refresh itself, enabling VSync will not reduce your average framerate. All that will happen is that your FPS will be capped to a maximum equivalent to the refresh rate.

Using Fraps (Fraps Benchmark) and the FPS command in-game, it never drops below 60 without Vsync. With that being said, the game is hard-capped at 60 FPS anyways, but there is still an extreme amount of tearing without Vsync.

If my card DID drop below 60 FPS for this game, which it doesn't, then there would be a problem. This is what I've been saying and if you STILL don't understand/believe me then follow the link at the bottom of the post.

Also:

Quote:In any game if you find tearing annoying, you should enable VSync. To ensure maximum performance, you should then enable Triple Buffering to prevent FPS drops related to enabling VSync.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_9.html
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011, 02:24 AM by Neosporin.)
05-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Find
Neosporin Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Vsync

Update: Added fix that worked for me to first post.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011, 07:00 AM by Neosporin.)
05-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Find